303 Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone shoot the 303 savage? I acquired a box of 303 Savage 190gr. Silvertip ammo in a trade and I am trying to decide if I am going to sell the ammo or find a rifle. I was told it was a little better than a 30-30 but I want to hear from someone that shoots it.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A very good Savage 99 chambered in .303 Sav. isn't exactly a cheap purchase these days. Those old 99's have a pretty good collector folowing. Original ammo is ,almost, nonexistant. I'd either keep the ammo or sell it. It is liable to command a pretty fair price, especially if it is in the original box and all 20 rounds are there. Unless you are like me and have a soft spot for the old 99.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A very good Savage 99 chambered in .303 Sav. isn't exactly a cheap purchase these days. Those old 99's have a pretty good collector folowing. Original ammo is ,almost, nonexistant. I'd either keep the ammo or sell it. It is liable to command a pretty fair price, especially if it is in the original box and all 20 rounds are there. Unless you are like me and have a soft spot for the old 99.

I like the looks of the 99 but didn't realize they were collectors. Is that the only model that shoots that round?

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Savage 99 is the only one I know of. Yes, the older 99's w/ the brass rotory magazine have a real following these days and the later models, with detatchable mags, to a lesser extent. The quality of the older 99's is evident when you pic one up an examine it, they were made when most products were ment to 'last a life time'. As time went on, well you know what happened to quality. The 303 Savage was an OK round for its' day, not a 'barn burner' by any stretch, but what was when then, not many. Don't know when it was discontinued by Savage, a good referance book will tell, but most likly in the '20s early '30s. An excellant condition 99, depending on caliber, can go for $500/$1000 and sometimes more, condition is king when it comes to these for sure, as for much of anything that is worth while. Those older 99's are the only Savage rifles I really care much about. "Cartridges of the World" states, the chambering was discontinued when sporting rifle production resumed after WW2.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to sell it on this board. Maybe a few days. Then I would post it on one of the national boards. If there's anyone local shooting that round it should go pretty quick.