308 round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
angsniper the OAL is meaningless without the distance to the lands tossed in.
But the esp you prolly knew i was going to say that....Like some of my stuff is meaningless without powder amounts.
My 175nosler ccalso liked it long..in fact would print in the .376" groups if they were jammed into the lands.
165game king hpbt and Varget.. do a ladder test for your gun..mine likes 44gr .010" to the lands
Then you have the 175Amax and IMR4064 .010" to the lands savage 10fp 24" barrel

Bullets with a bearing surface of .400" long or longer work best for all my .308 loads
ladder test!!!
I do them with only 1 bullet in each charge weight..I increase .3gr at a time...

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
angsniper the OAL is meaningless without the distance to the lands tossed in.

Bullet jump is meaningless unless you have a custom chamber.

You seem to be on the "bullet jump" crusade. Bullet jump is at the bottom, and I mean very very bottom of the accuracy ladder. In your testing you might have ran into "A-HA!" moment - but it has to do more with pressure/velocity/harmonics that you would've seen in your OCW test.

For me it's a simple idea of statistics - once the mechanics are sorted out (type of bullet that works with particular twist and type of rifling) harmonics plays such an astonishingly HUGE role in the accuracy - it just has to be the only thing that matters for all practical purposes.

I use different approach to different type of shooting.
- A lot of times the COL is dictated by mag length - like hunting and high-power.
- Reduced loads need a lot of bullet tension to build the pressure - COL is dictated by how much of bullet HAS to be in the neck.
- F-Class is battle of velocity vs pressure - you want the bullet out of the case to gain a bit more capacity, but not as far as to jam because of the pressure spike.
- Short range benchrest - that's where you can really shine with bullet jump. Bullet jump gives a very fine adjustment on velocity and pressure - finer than any other reloading technique can do - powder, primer or neck tension.

P.S. I keep hearing that longer jump might make bullet start yawing before engaging the lands - it just doesn't make sense, since the bullet is still in the neck of the case when it gets to the rifling. Be it 0.010 or 0.050 jump - the bullet is guided by the neck, and if it was not concentric no jumping or jamming will fix that.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You all may have overdidit. The OP was probably wanting a cheap load for a milsurp or semi-auto.
Hence the word "inexpensive"
Maybe something in the 147 gr. range

Eastok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That'll give me a good idea of where to start. Yeah more mil-surp style at the current. Not needing to get too carried away just yet. Of course we all know where this road leads to

Latest posts

Top Bottom