357mag pressures in .38 cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I predict bad things would happen. If you wanna try it, make sure you try it in a big framed gun. .357 handles double the pressure that 38 does.

GP100 shooting here. :)

Dustin, once I get that load developed you'll sort of have something to reference 'cause I'm gonna do a thread on it when I work it up. BTW, that load will not chamber in a .38 special gun, only in .357 magnums. And my sole reason for doing it is the ejector rod on my 2.5" S&W snubbie won't clear the magnum cases. What I expect to happen is to land somewhere between .38 +P and full bore magnums. But if I can safely hit the magnum velocities that will just be peachy! :hyper:

Now there is nothing wrong with working up a max load for your individual gun whatever that may be. Could be that it works out to be .38 +P+. Who knows? But if you change even a component lot you need to back down and work it back up if you are running on the ragged edge.

I'm looking forward to seeing this write up, thanks!

To all:
Like I said before, I have no intentions on doing this so please reserve posts telling me I shouldn't do this without any substantiation.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dustin, If your not careful one of those might find its way into that little model 38, and then your going to have your own personal handgrenade! Its best to just not do it. There's a reason the ammo manufacturers went from making 38/44 to making .357Magnum. Had one of my soldiers over in Germany try to magnumize his .44spl, I didn't know a model 24 could come apart like that, and he's lucky he only lost a finger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom