38 Super

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for some .38 super brass and some recomendations for target and self defense loads for my light weight commander. This gun will not be used for competition shooting mainly conceald carry and target duty.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few days ago I believe I saw some Winchester 38 Super Brass at the BassPro in BA. So, you might check the OKC BassPro and see what they have.

If you have trouble finding brass locally let me know, maybe I can help you out.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, 9mm(.355) dia bullets should work fine. Go buy a reloading manual or check some of the bullet/powder manufacturers websites they usually have a limited amount of reloading data available.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.38 Super, as in Colt spec, uses .356 jacketed bullets. Various aftermarket barrels are .355 and work best with jacketed bullets at .355. Slug your barrel, if in doubt, and go from there.

My preference is Winchester brass, for longevity and consistency.

The .38 Super can be delightfully accurate with a load that your gun likes.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got out the Hornady manual when I got home and compared the 9mm vs 38 super and found that alot of the bullets cross over,same hornady numbers,so now all I need to do is gather up some components and pick a powder. Leaning towards power pistol as reccomended in the book or win. action pistol. Thoughts?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't tried either one of those powders. It looks like the advantage with WAP is that there is load data for all the available bullet weights. I can see where that would be appealing. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

doublearon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 147 grain .38 Super bullets from JK over 4.6 grains of Unique(Lyman load data) shoot nicely in an STI Trojan. At 4.6 grains, the slide cycles very slowly, and the recoil is just a push instead of a snap, and makes for some very pleasant target shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom