.380acp terminal ballistics of the Elsie Pea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the small size worth the small round?

• Yes

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to know a bit more about the effectiveness of this round.
I use 90gr Corbon JHP's.

Do y'all think the small size and easy carry of these mouseguns are worth it?
Is (up to 6 shots) fired under stress w/ adequate training going to leave someone wishing they had their 1911 handy?

I love my LCP, but every now & then I think it might not be enough.

.45acp is what I like, but usually ain't what I carry...

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How accessible a carry firearm is and one's proficiency with the gun is much more important than caliber, in my opinion.
That said ,
A small caliber pistol and being in a pocket is why I mostly carry a full size gun on or in my belt. Takes me 20 seconds to put on a holster as opposed to slipping a gun in my pocket.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to know a bit more about the effectiveness of this round.
I use 90gr Corbon JHP's.

Is (up to 6 shots) fired under stress w/ adequate training going to leave someone wishing they had their 1911 handy?

I love my LCP, but every now & then I think it might not be enough.

.45acp is what I like, but usually ain't what I carry...

If you can lodge the projectile into a vital organ it will kill.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
How accessible a carry firearm is and one's proficiency with the gun is much more important than caliber, in my opinion.
That said ,
A small caliber pistol and being in a pocket is why I mostly carry a full size gun on or in my belt. Takes me 20 seconds to put on a holster as opposed to slipping a gun in my pocket.

*sigh* same here.

I think I'll go bump the "is your weapon a talisman" thread.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. I am aware of that thread. I was hoping mine wouldn't be interpreted that way. I thought a had a legitimate question. Which I still do. I understand exercising proper training is important. And I do this!!

I am aware of sarcasm... :)

*sigh* same here.

I think I'll go bump the "is your weapon a talisman" thread.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .380 ballistics are not too bad. I agree bigger holes are better, and take the fight out of someone probably faster. But don't discount the lcp. It has its purpose, and if that is it allows you to carry all the time, vs sometimes, then that is probably all right. There will always be contrary opinions andideas, but it seems you are saying is it enough. I say there are tons better options, but if either of us are not carrying them, then it is a mute point. Carry it and enjoy. If you get to where you can do something else, then do that. I don't like strapping on a holster either, main reason is I don't do it enough to be comfortable with it. I think it all comes with practice.

I do like your idea of the .45. Wish I wore a jacket all the time and I would shoulder carry my sig 220 :)

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The LCP fills a roll when absolutley nothing else will work but I feel that carrying it 24/7 as a primary because it is easy limits your effectiveness.

I have a LCP that I think about selling regularly because it never gets carried since I can usually get away with something bigger. I hold onto it for those rare times when I can't make anything else work.

In Tom Givens instructors class he showed a black paper clip from the range that holds the target against the backers that had stopped a .380 round. It didn't inspire confidence.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Arguments can be made either way on the stopping power of any round. And 380s definitely have value as a carry weapon. If you doubt me, stand in front of me and let me fire a JHP-loaded LCP into your chest. No takers? Didn't think so.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Yes... as a backup.

I will NOT carry anything less than 9mm as a primary gun, and especially will not carry a primary in my pocket.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Arguments can be made either way on the stopping power of any round. And 380s definitely have value as a carry weapon. If you doubt me, stand in front of me and let me fire a JHP-loaded LCP into your chest. No takers? Didn't think so.

That has to be the most over used and ridiculous argument ever.

I wouldn't let you shoot an air rifle at me, much less a .380, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for a defensive handgun.

If you are in a situation where you absolutely must be there, and absolutely must have your shirt tucked, and absolutely cannot add a suit jacket...

Then we can talk about carrying a .380 in a pocket as primary being the best choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom