3rd gen smiths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Model 59 variants. They seem to have skyrocketed in price over the past year. Not that long ago one could pick up a nice police trade for around $250.
I know. I have been looking for a 5906 for around a year now to go with my nickle plated Camp 9.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
$1000 is the new $500. $500 the new $250.

basically, when i was first getting into guns (ya know, basically as soon as i could legally purchase them), anything in that sweet $300-$500 range was good to go. almost always a no brainer purchase for me, at least stuff that i was into. that included a lot of c&r milsurp stuff. of course everyone knows about the ak's, nuggets, and sks's, but things like post war p1's, nagant revolvers, pps-43s, mausers, k98's, nambu's, arisaka's, basically ANYTHING that isn't made anymore but was under $500 is now going to be just under $1000. maybe.

and then we'll see it double again. it won't inch up. if you want a 3rd gen smith, i'd get one.
saw a thread here on the CMP and i'm doing it. been too long for me to not have a garand, and i'll take even a field grade for what they are asking. we're at the point where the cmp is 'selling' them for dang near half market value.

gun purchases aren't purchases, they are investments. i'm building my 401(g).

the trick i'm learning from listening to all of you, beit guns, old cars, or whatever, is NEVER SELL.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a few. I just don’t shoot them well. Maybe it’s the ergonomics or something. I could name off the list of OSA members that have them now. I still have a 659 that I’ll keep mainly because there needs to be at least one in all well rounded collection.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a few. I just don’t shoot them well. Maybe it’s the ergonomics or something. I could name off the list of OSA members that have them now. I still have a 659 that I’ll keep mainly because there needs to be at least one in all well rounded collection.
If you ever decide you want to trade it, I have a very nice Ruger P89. :P :P :P

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 3rd gen Smith & Wesson autos are the best kept secret in the auto pistol realm. They feel good, eat anything you feed em and are very pleasing to the eye. Their biggest downfall, is that they came out around the same time that silly plastic pistol from Austria that held a bucket of bullets. It was lighter, more user friendly (draw/point/fire/holster) with no safeties or decockers, easier to field strip and maintain, plus it was cheaper and "nasty" looking.

Hell, I'll admit I was carrying a 4506 and when the 40S&W was invented, like most cops, I saw it as the perfect cartridge. At the time, the 9mm left us with a bad taste in our mouth (Miami FBI shooting) and the only choices you had in .45ACP was the 4506, 1911 or the Sig P220.

So, in the early summer of 1991, I had planned on buying a 4006, the very pistol the 180gr cartridge was designed around by Smith & Wesson and Winchester, but the Glock 22 caught my eye.

And as they say, the rest is history.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Glock 'em down i came here to say exactly this. Fantastic pistols that got lost in the polymer, striker fired world. I think they’ll soon be commanding premiums. The old school blue cardboard boxes bring back some memories of my childhood, gun shows and new guns in the house. I’ve been enamored with firearms since I touched off that first .38 special in a 4” 686 in 1985!