.41 Long Colt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Colt Thunderer that I've had for years through an inheritance of sorts, and I've never shot it. No telling how long since it has been shot, but I have 2 full boxes and a mostly full box of ammo for it. I'm not certain about shooting it because the ammo is so stinking expensive. Does anyone have any experience on reloading these?

If I get a reloader sometime in the near future (with dies for my .30-06, .40 S&W), would it be wise to also invest in a set of dies for the .41 LC?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to shoot it a lot or even some, then I would reload for it. If you just want to shoot a doe with it once every several years, or have some ammo just to say you have ammo for it, then no I wouldn't.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do whatever it takes to learn if it is rated for smokeless powder before shooting it, unless you know the shells you have are black powder. The lock workds on these guns is very fragile, and probably should be called clock works. Mike Belivue has a youtube video on these guns. His youtube handle is Duelist1954.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother reloaded for his .41 LC 1st gen SAA and put several hundred rounds through it before having to sell the revolver due to financial circumstances. He still has his Lee dies, powder, brass, and bullets if you are interested in purchasing those components.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do whatever it takes to learn if it is rated for smokeless powder before shooting it, unless you know the shells you have are black powder. The lock workds on these guns is very fragile, and probably should be called clock works. Mike Belivue has a youtube video on these guns. His youtube handle is Duelist1954.

Another reason I have never shot the gun was because it is in excellent condition, tight, and in great working order, and I don't want to mess it up.

My brother reloaded for his .41 LC 1st gen SAA and put several hundred rounds through it before having to sell the revolver due to financial circumstances. He still has his Lee dies, powder, brass, and bullets if you are interested in purchasing those components.

I would be interested. Do you know how much?

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am finally able to get a reloader, and plan on reloading for this old relic for no other reason to be able to finally shoot it some. I also plan to reload my .30-06 and .40 S&W.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just had to shoot mine, couldn't stand the thought of having a gun I couldn't shoot. Made up some LITE loads for it, shot 40 rounds one afternoon. Good shooter, and got a lot of attention at the range. Decided it was just too delicate and OLD to shoot a lot, would really hate to break a spring or ?????? and end up with a paperweight.

IMHO, get the dies, have fun, even if you only shoot it once. Just having the ammo and dies will add to the gun.

okherp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided to pass on reloading it. After reading numerous articles on it, and its delicate springs, I don't want to risk damage to it. It is in good working order currently, I would like to keep it that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom