Long Action Caliber Options for a 700 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve got a few 700 long actions I’ve either bought or traded for and I’m gonna start putting some of these together. A couple are just long actions and one is a magnum long action. What caliber barrel would you put on to keep for yourself? To sell? One of the actions already has a 280 barrel on it so I’m thinking something other than that, maybe 6.5x284? I don’t want something too crazy since I have a 6xc, and 22br and a 6bra I’ve already gotta reload for so I want something I can get factory ammo but reload in a jiffy. And don’t @270 me no one buys those.View attachment 401996

I like a lot of your cartridge choices.

I'm assuming that this is the .473 base bolt face. If you can still find the brass, and don't mind 1,200 round barrel life, the 6.5x284 would be awesome. I still think that a custom '06 is a great idea too.

I have a magnum bolt face, G prefix barreled action sitting here with nothing designated for it. Still toying with the idea of a 6.5 or 7 PRC..or maybe the 7-6.5 PRC variant. I'm done with belted magnums.

So many builds, so little time (and money).

Best of luck to you.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont want to send you down the wrong path but. put a short action cartage in a long action rifle. that way it will open you up to more rounds to use and you can set the bullets out longer if needed. you might run into feeding issues out of the mag.

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont want to send you down the wrong path but. put a short action cartage in a long action rifle. that way it will open you up to more rounds to use and you can set the bullets out longer if needed. you might run into feeding issues out of the mag.
Was thinking about that I know 6mm rem is i on me a lot of guys like in a long action

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mostly shooting paper lol, but I do hunt deer and predators. I’m thinking be large game cartridge and one long range cartridge.
If I was worried about wanting factory ammo availability I would probably go with 30-06 for hunting. For paper punching a 284 is a good choice. Drawback to that is never seen factory ammo and Lapua suspended production on several cartridges. Im kind of in the same boat as you. I have had a Borden Mountaineer action in my safe for over a year along with a Manners t2a stock and two Brux barrels trying to figure out what I want exactly. Not easy decisions to make. Ultimately component availability has to play a part in it anymore. When speaking ballistic advantages it 6 one way and half a dozen anymore.

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was worried about wanting factory ammo availability I would probably go with 30-06 for hunting. For paper punching a 284 is a good choice. Drawback to that is never seen factory ammo and Lapua suspended production on several cartridges. Im kind of in the same boat as you. I have had a Borden Mountaineer action in my safe for over a year along with a Manners t2a stock and two Brux barrels trying to figure out what I want exactly. Not easy decisions to make. Ultimately component availability has to play a part in it anymore. When speaking ballistic advantages it 6 one way and half a dozen anymore.
I did pick up a 223 ackley and a 6mm br ackley barrels from urbanrifleman. I put the 223ai on a 700 and that’s thing looks like it’s gonna be a shooter. I kinda like the idea of the ackley. Shoot factory ammo then later I’d you want reload it to a little better round.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did pick up a 223 ackley and a 6mm br ackley barrels from urbanrifleman. I put the 223ai on a 700 and that’s thing looks like it’s gonna be a shooter. I kinda like the idea of the ackley. Shoot factory ammo then later I’d you want reload it to a little better round.
Are you a member of a gun range? Going to matches and seeing what other people are having success with is another idea. Thats kind of how I got into f class shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom