45/70 opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, since my all time dream gun is the 1874 Sharps, I'm not opposed to singles

Fit, finish, accuracy is excellent, and the trigger is even better. The wait time on a Shiloh was over two years when I bought my first Pedersoli and was glad it worked out that way. They shoot better than any Shiloh I've shot (only two of them).

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a marlin in 45-70 and it was nice. I cant remember if it was JM barrel stamp or not but it was stainless. I own a 1895G in 450 Marlin with JM stamp, which is just a hot rod 45-70 and I love that gun. But I have not owned any of the others mentioned.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding on Marlins is this:

Early ones had funky twist rate that were not ideal for heavy loads.
Once they got that worked out, it was the "golden era" for Marlins...they had a good twist for traditional weight and heavy bullets, had good quality, etc.
Then Freedom Group (Remington) bought them and the quality sucked bad for a few years and has improved since. If you get an early "non-JM" aka early Remlin...they are pretty sketchy. If you get a new one, probably significantly better but still worthy of a good inspection for machine quality, etc.

One buddy got a Remlin and it was a turd...couldnt handle traditional loads without locking up. It went back for repair, got a new bolt and lever...and malfunctioned the same way after 5 or 6 rounds. Went back a second time for a new bolt and was supposedly fixed but he sold it off before ever trying it out after that fix. That was a "new" rifle bought at Sports World here in Tulsa in 2016 or 2017...so still pretty recent.

My other buddy has a JM stamp one and its fantastic. Buddy who got the Remlin and sold it, replaced it with a JM stamp one and has not had any further issue.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picture of the bolt from my buddies Remlin...some quality stuff right there.

16730746_1423595371019021_712229567_n.png