.45 ACP Moon Clip Advise Needed, Please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy, all!

Just snagged a Smith & Wesson 1955 Model 25-2 and need some moon clips fast!!! I'm hoping to use this gun at the poker shoot next weekend.

I've read that these cheap clips from Old Sarge's Dropzone are just cheap clips...but this demooning tool looks interesting. http://oldsargesdropzone.com/product.php?item=1555 Could come in handy as my moon clip collection grows, ya know? Anybody ever use this thing?

I plan on getting the polymer RIMZ eventually, but I need something cheap NOW! I already shot my wad on this pistol and the GP100 and money is gonna be an issue for the next two weeks!(...again) :hithead:

I'm already going nuts that I can't shoot this thing this weekend without the clips!!! They simply cannot be found in Lawton, America. :mad:

Any advise, assistance or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, in advance!
:cool:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 22-4 in .45 acp, but it came with 6 moon clips. However, a lot of the time on the range I don't use the clips. I've had very few not fire, and so it's just not worth the time it takes to put the rounds in the clips, and then pull the shells back out. When I carry it, I use the clips. Haven't competed with it yet, so I can't comment on that.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can find the half moons they are usually Gov't surplus and good.
The full moons are so-so some are thicker than others and are commercial
(mostly made in china) do a little filing on them so you can pop the shell out with your fingers but keep it tight. the half moons will usually pop out under firm finger pressure as the Gov't didn't provide a tool.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midway USA or brownells.

I had already tried the bigger on line stores, but I hadn't hit Brownells at the time of posting. They are who I finally settled on buying from. I was trying my damnedest to get around big shipping fees for such a small order, but in the end I felt it best to buy S & W branded clips made for my model for this first batch that I've GOT to have for this weekend. Paid $12.07 for four stinking moon clips...:punch: ouch.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy, all!

Just snagged a Smith & Wesson 1955 Model 25-2 and need some moon clips fast!!! I'm hoping to use this gun at the poker shoot next weekend.

I've read that these cheap clips from Old Sarge's Dropzone are just cheap clips...but this demooning tool looks interesting. http://oldsargesdropzone.com/product.php?item=1555 Could come in handy as my moon clip collection grows, ya know? Anybody ever use this thing?

I plan on getting the polymer RIMZ eventually, but I need something cheap NOW! I already shot my wad on this pistol and the GP100 and money is gonna be an issue for the next two weeks!(...again) :hithead:

I'm already going nuts that I can't shoot this thing this weekend without the clips!!! They simply cannot be found in Lawton, America. :mad:

Any advise, assistance or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, in advance!
:cool:

The best moonclips for the 45 ACP S&W revolvbers are the all steel ones made by Ranch products. Check their website and give them a call to order. The last time I ordered they were less than $50 per 100.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to use the full moon clips I certainly recomend the tool for removing the empties, It will save a lot of cussing and with a little practice it is pretty quick. I think the clips last longer to using one

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay guys and gals.... I have my initial moon clip situation handled at this point. Just waiting for my hundred lot to arrive.

Now, on to my newest quest.
While at the crappy gun show here, I saw a plastic carrier that was similar in design to this:

apics.gunbroker.com_GB_140751000_140751354_pix1049854093.gif

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=140751354
But it was not in my caliber.
If I recall correctly, it was made by Uncle Mike's and was a "speedloader case."
I have been scouring the internet for a while now and can find no such animal. All I come up with is the usual thing that goes on your belt.
The case I posted a link to is very nice indeed, but I am not trying to spend over a hundred bucks to store and/or carry my ammo around...

Anybody out there know where I may locate such a handy item?
Thanks again for y'alls input!

Latest posts

Top Bottom