45 ACP spp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleg10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody load or prefer .45 acp with small primer pockets. I have a bunch of both small and large that I need to sell/trade but not sure on the popularity of the small pocket design.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody load or prefer .45 acp with small primer pockets. I have a bunch of both small and large that I need to sell/trade but not sure on the popularity of the small pocket design.

I bought up a few thousand of them (Federal Small Primer) a few months ago as all I had was small primers on hand. I had to look for awhile to find them. Not sure if that means they are being eaten up or just not popular. I know hard core 45 hand loaders complain about them. I load off a single stage so it doesn't matter either way for me.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was reloading 45, I used the small primer brass with cast lead bullets for plinking loads. Worked great.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I load both. I prefer SPP over LPP .45 acp. I used to trade for it quite bit with guys who hated the SPP versions.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got both and I’ve loaded both. I’ve considered trading and goin with one or the other but it’s nice to have options.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the sp 45 brass. I can't tell that there is any difference in performance, and I don't have to change out the priming system on my press when I want to load 45s. The last few times I have seen sp brass for sale it was going for the same price as lp brass.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never loaded the SPP 45 but have rarely run into them in my range pickups. I reload on a Dillon progressive and if you miss a SPP in your sorting process it sure slows things down. You have to stop and remove the darn thing so to me they are just a nuisance.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I load both, when I am inspecting the cases before loading I separate the 2. Have a few racks from boxes of bullets and which ever had less just sit on my desk until the next 45acp load session.

Latest posts

Top Bottom