48÷2(9+3) =

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the answer

Votes: 54 29.8%

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • JB Books knows

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Obama Sucks

Votes: 37 20.4%

• Total voters

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading a math/engineering forum and seeing how there are over 100 pages on this equation, I have come the realizatiion that there is a reason I am on a gun enthusiast forum and not an engineering forum. As it is written, the answer is technically 288 if you follow the proper rules. The problem is purposefully written in an ambiguous manner to elicit this response. The difference here is semantics. If you see it as 48/2(9+3), then 2 could be the correct answer, but it isn't 48 over (2(9+3). That is how I read it at first. I made a mistake.

As is it written, it is 48 divided 2 muliplied by the product of (9+3), which is means the answer is 288.

Feet Dry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2

CastleB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to change my answer !!!!!
I now realize that their was four options instead of three.

I THOUGHT I was voting for "JB Books knows Obama SUCKS"!

I want a do over ... JB got an extra credit cause he voted for the guy.:screwy:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After reading a math/engineering forum and seeing how there are over 100 pages on this equation, I have come the realizatiion that there is a reason I am on a gun enthusiast forum and not an engineering forum. As it is written, the answer is technically 288 if you follow the proper rules. The problem is purposefully written in an ambiguous manner to elicit this response. The difference here is semantics. If you see it as 48/2(9+3), then 2 could be the correct answer, but it isn't 48 over (2(9+3). That is how I read it at first. I made a mistake.

As is it written, it is 48 divided 2 muliplied by the product of (9+3), which is means the answer is 288.

That means i was the rightest, but if and only if, JB knows and Obama sucks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom