500 Nitro Express in a Thompson Center handgun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some people complain full load 44 mag is painful. Guess I have not shot enough out of my new model super blackhawk and ruger alaskan 2.5". Neither are painfull to shoot with full loads.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some people complain full load 44 mag is painful. Guess I have not shot enough out of my new model super blackhawk and ruger alaskan 2.5". Neither are painfull to shoot with full loads.
Depends on the gun and how well it fits. My anaconda is worse with wood grips but isn’t bad. Super Blackhawk’s are quite mild. Sw 329pd on the other hand, one round was enough.

I had a 380 that flat out hurt to shoot. Hurt far more than any 44 mag I own. Everyone who shot that thing would start shaking their hand after a few rounds.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the gun and how well it fits. My anaconda is worse with wood grips but isn’t bad. Super Blackhawk’s are quite mild. Sw 329pd on the other hand, one round was enough.

I had a 380 that flat out hurt to shoot. Hurt far more than any 44 mag I own. Everyone who shot that thing would start shaking their hand after a few rounds.

Very true. Back when I shot metallic silhouettes, I shot a S&W Model 29, 8 3/8". There were a lot more shooters with Rugers. Much more manageable.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those Smith 500’s suck. I had three of them and with full power 600gr+ bullets, it feels like your hand is hit with a baseball bat. The guns are huge and overly bulky. Actual recoil is mild, but painful with the heavies. A single action in 475 or 500 Linebaugh is smaller, lighter, and can be shot extensively pain free with full power ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom