552 speedmaster problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently bought a used speedmster from a forum member. He'd told me that it worked great, got home loaded it with shorts and the rifle will not cycle, I put regular 22 long rifles in ahead of the shorts. Nothing, 1 shot, hand crank the bolt, 1 shot. Any ideas?

Bigfoot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently bought a used speedmster from a forum member. He'd told me that it worked great, got home loaded it with shorts and the rifle will not cycle, I put regular 22 long rifles in ahead of the shorts. Nothing, 1 shot, hand crank the bolt, 1 shot. Any ideas?
I have corrected a few high mileage speedmasters. Sounds like it cycles well manually. These guns are difficult to disassemble the first time around. Just push out the two pins in the reciever and remove the trigger action. remove the forearm screw and the mag. tube retainer screw and be careful and remove the tube, spring [under pressure], and forearm. Now the barrel, bolt, bolt extension arm, can be pulled out of the front of the receiver. Now remove the rear stock. Put all the parts in a suitable, non-harmful cleaner. I use diesel. Get it clean, check for missing, broken, or worn parts. Don't forget to check the back of the barrel for deposits that will stop the bolt prematurely. Oil, reassemble. should shoot like new. The clips on the ends of the hollow rod in the middle of the trigger assembly are known to be missing, causing a lot of problems. Hope that helps....

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up shooting one of these rifles, sounds like she needs some serious TLC. I have one you could look at to make sure that yours is complete internally. Mine is very reliable and accurate, and I really like the short for rabbits in the winter.

Bigfoot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunscrubber spray will only settle and harden in the trigger/hammer assembly. But you can spray it out with that, re-oil it, and try it out to see if cleaning is all it needs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom