6.5 Grendel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I use my Grendel for hunting, defense is secondary with this round. I have an AK that I will use in a defensive situation. 5.56 is so much more available and cheaper to run so would just make more sense for defense in my opinion

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is it better if building to go with the standard 5.56 or say .300 blackout?

I have slobbered over new or different calibers and I have a friend that has build a couple dozen different AR's in different calibers.

I have to take a step back and realize the little 55gr V-Max bullet in my .332/5.56 has taken a 400+ lb hog and many deer with all 1 shot kills.
90% fall over and stay down where you shot them.

I then realize I do not need to try and improve on that.
The ones that ran only made it 5- 20 feet before piling up.

My 30-30, .308 or 30-06 can't kill them any quicker either.

Availability of ammo and components and price is a huge concern of mine.
But dead right there trumps that.
I get that with the little cheap round.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Cabelas had a stack of the Hornady Black a week or so ago. It was around $35 a box which takes it out of the plinking category.
Side note-125 grain 6.5 CR is easier to find than 140gr. I’ve been buying the 125gr CR and pulling the bullets for use in Grendel and reseating 140’s in the CM.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6.5 Grendel( finding the ammo is there any out there)?

is it better if building to go with the standard 5.56 or say .300 blackout?
Was thinking of a 6.5 Grendel build but that is my drawback. Ammo not widely available and neither is brass for loading. Same issue with 450 bushmaster, ammo for it is available but at $3 a round when you find it and brass almost nonexistent. Not affordable to me when 20rds in a AR is $60 bucks. Besides I can load 168 grn bullets in my 300Blackout and it hits like a sledge hammer.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the intended purpose? Defense, Target shooting, Hunting, What game.
As mentioned 5.56 would be the most plentiful ammo, will kill most game you would pursue in OK
If hunting, and trying to take longer shots, then 6.5 grendel is good, a little more range, and heavier bullets,
would give a little advantage in target shooting as well.
The next step would be a 6mm arc. I built one a while back, absolute tack driver. I have shot out to 800 yards
with it, with amazing results. 300 blk out, if you want to go supressed and throw a bigger bullet, it is perfectly
suited for that. I shoot 147 gn bullets and normal velocites, shoots great, I run 220 gn sub sonic, and suppressed
fun, quite gun. So as you can see, there are alot of questions you need to answer before you decide, and
what works for others, may not work for you.
I bought a box of 6 arc in the hornady blk, ran three round through my gun, then pulled the bullets and will
use the primed brass, that was the dirtiest powder I have ever used.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my Grendel for hunting, defense is secondary with this round. I have an AK that I will use in a defensive situation. 5.56 is so much more available and cheaper to run so would just make more sense for defense in my opinion
I’m in the exact same boat. I use my Grendel for hunting but 5.56 for everything else such as plinking and Run n Gun events.

Latest posts

Top Bottom