7 Hand Gestures To Never Use Abroad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Military members who have spent extensive time in overseas countries probably already know most of
these so it's meant mainly for the rest of us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha!
Those R funny!

Uh....However....

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the victory/peace sign demonstration in the clip is wrong.
Isn't there a difference due to the fact that the fingers are either facing in or out?

I thought the victory/peace sign was "fingerprints out" while the Brittish "screw off" sign was actually "fingerprints in"....

Am I correct?

Anyone?
:anyone:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The British "V" sign or gesture.

newsimg.bbc.co.uk_media_images_47753000_jpg__47753347_009195970_1.jpg

Usually the fingers are closed or slightly open. Arm bent, the two fingers move in an upward gesture.

From the Middle Ages, the French would cut off the the fingers of a British archer so he couldn't shoot arrows at them anymore. The British took it a step farther and used the two finger salute to piss off the French. As time passed, it became the same gesture as our middle finger salute.

Cohiba

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The British "V" sign or gesture.

Usually the fingers are closed or slightly open. Arm bent, the two fingers move in an upward gesture.

From the Middle Ages, the French would cut off the the fingers of a British archer so he couldn't shoot arrows at them anymore. The British took it a step farther and used the two finger salute to piss off the French. As time passed, it became the same gesture as our middle finger salute.

Cohiba
That's interesting.

Thanks for contributing that.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does matter, over here, with the peace/victory sign tho'.
I mean because if you flip it around then you just got the number TWO....right?

Er....I think yer wrong, I think it matters.

:)

Spoke to my Welsh and Irish friends and got the scoop. Still waiting for my Australian buddy to answer me.

I woulda sworn in Australia it didn't matter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom