85 Mile Per Hour Speed Limit Seen on State Highway 130

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to love roughnecking in the Texas panhandle. If it's paved out there it's 75mph speed limit, roads that would be 55 or less here in Southeast OK. I would get pulled over all the time when I had to come over to Elk City for supplies. Just hard to get used to slowpokin' it here.

zodiacflyer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
US 75 was originally built through towns, the highway in Texas known as US 75 now has only been in existence since the early 80's, when it opened, bypassing the original highway- of course Dallas and Houston areas are pretty much as built.. Just called I-45 now.

Pretty much everyone drives 80-85 on the way to Dallas, as soon as they cross the Red River and leave Oklahoma. Texas didn't build small towns with stoplights and speed traps directly on the highway like Oklahoma did.

Its kind of embarrassing for our state.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I think our speed limits are appropriate for are piss poor roads. I just did a trip to Colorado for work and went the slightly longer route through the Texas panhandle for this reason, the better roads and higher speed limits. As soon as you cross the state line out of Oklahoma the roads get smooth. Come south out of Springfield and Campo Colorado and hit the state line and the road just sucks. And there is nuthin but nuthin in those two towns, so it's not that Oklahoma counties don't have the same economics that TX, CO and KS (Kansas has probably the best roads I have seen of any state highways) have in that area. Go on through Boise City and into Texas. When you cross the state line you get good road again. Angle through most of the Texas panhandle and hit the OK state line west of Elk City and north of Sayre and you get your P.O.S. roads back just as soon as you cross into Oklahoma. Our roads are just plain embarrassing and it's not because they aren't maintained either. They are just half assed when built...

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For some of us our pickup's can only do 45. When We put the "petal to the metal" the truck just dies of heart failure. For some reason the older I get the slower I get. Got passed by a turtle yesterday and his speed was scary. He had the pedal to the carapace. Man. he was fast. So, since everybody drives faster to me I drive all the back roads here and pull over and stop to let speedy guys like ya'll and the turtle pass and I DO NOT go to TEXAS.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your vehicle has a top speed of only 45, then you legally can't drive it on any state highway. The miniumum speed is 45, so you would be maxing it the whole time. Drive the speed limit or take a backroad. People that drive 60 in the fast lane piss me off to no end, it is dangerous. I should not have to jump on my brakes because some blue hair is out for a sunday drive doing 10 under the limit. I'm not syaing you need to drive 90, just drive the posted limit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom