9mm slide for 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of .22lr slides (and the matching magazines) for my 1911s. Is there some sort of decent similar product for a 1911 in 9mm with which anyone as any personal experience? Thanks in advance for any expertise you can offer in this matter.

Bryan

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think you can do it with a 45, you can if one of the guns is a 38 Super. 9mm & 38 Super will swap out. BEWARE: I have been wrong before(talking about the 45) not on the Super and 9

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's preventing you from using your conversions on the 9mm frame? I'm assuming your 9mm is either a full size or commander frame.

It's a .45 frame. I have full size, commander and officer, but I'd probably want to use it on the full size. It's not for carry - just for cheaper practice. Of course when you factor in the cost of the conversion kit, the difference in price between 9mm and .45 is pretty negligible.

I think he's wondering if the sell a 9mm conversion like the 22 ones

Correct.

9mm 1911s use a different ejector and the feed ramp angle is different if I recall correctly.

I don't think you can do it with a 45, you can if one of the guns is a 38 Super. 9mm & 38 Super will swap out. BEWARE: I have been wrong before(talking about the 45) not on the Super and 9

I'm not an expert, but I would think .45 and .22 were different in this area as well. The Kimber kit that I use basically replaces everything other than the base frame so I figured somebody might do the same for a 9mm. Maybe not, though. I couldn't find anything that was obviously this sort of product on a Google search so I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks everyone for your input! This may not make sense anyway - at least not in the way that converting from .45 to .22 does.

Bryan

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the 22 kits have their own ejector.
to convert a 45 to 9mm you would have to swap out the ejector each time.
a pain in the butt.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 22 kits have their own ejector.
to convert a 45 to 9mm you would have to swap out the ejector each time.
a pain in the butt.

It has been years since I took a class where I completely dismantled a 1911 and put it back together and despite owning several I do not consider myself even remotely an expert, but I would have thought the ejector was part of the "upper" part of the 1911 when the slide is removed. If it's part of the lower frame, this makes total sense though.

ETA: Ok, so I did some quick searches and it's all coming back to me now. DUH! This makes sense to me now! Thanks all for helping me reboot my brain. :)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yep, the .38 super, 9mm and especially the 9x21 will need a barrel swap.... hopefully a ramped barrel. :D

To the OP, you're better off just trying to find a cheap 9mm 1911. If there was such a product that would work well with 1911s, it would sell like hotcakes.