A Swing and a Miss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handlebar

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I need to vent some more. Went hunting tonight and been every night this week with not very much activity. I decided I needed to make something happen. The north wind was not helping me any b/c most of my stands are set up for the south wind. I parked my truck in a pasture that we have not had cattle in all summer and the grass being belly high I knew that they could be anywhere. I started heading north along a long finger of trees that leads to a pond where there is a large persimin grove ( I know I can't spell). Moving along the east side I came upon a old dump that we dumped alot of old house stuff that came out of our rent houses. I was looking at the crap and decided to get on top of a bed mattress to look off in the creek better. I jumped on the mattress and there, 25 yards, he stands up and looks at me. Im sure I had a stupid look on my face, I could not believe it, that deer here, living in the junk pile. He knew it was me b/c I have had several incounters with this deer. The deer bolted north so I squatted and got ready for the only open spot I could see and when he entered the opening, which about the size of a trash can lid, I let her rip. I instently ran up the hill east to get to high ground to see if he made it out of the creek. I was looking north and about 350 yrds I saw him cross the pond dam spill way into the creek behind the pond dam:violin:. Long gone, found his tracks before he went across the spill way and no blood. I will admit when I shot I was high on his back and figuring at 50 yrds A clean miss. Now I will post pics, trail cam pics, only if I end up getting him this year or the next. I figured after this encounter, I just made him that much more smarter. This deer is very unique and do not want the word out of the where abouts of this deer, or where he use to be anyways. Sorry, but hopfuly will share success pics soon. Thanks for reading I already feel better, b/c I know you can not tag a deer if you don't shoot. I'm going to stay after him, the now named "Junkyard Buck". I now realized the name fits b/c he is TRASHY.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to vent some more. Went hunting tonight and been every night this week with not very much activity. I decided I needed to make something happen. The north wind was not helping me any b/c most of my stands are set up for the south wind. I parked my truck in a pasture that we have not had cattle in all summer and the grass being belly high I knew that they could be anywhere. I started heading north along a long finger of trees that leads to a pond where there is a large persimin grove ( I know I can't spell). Moving along the east side I came upon a old dump that we dumped alot of old house stuff that came out of our rent houses. I was looking at the crap and decided to get on top of a bed mattress to look off in the creek better. I jumped on the mattress and there, 25 yards, he stands up and looks at me. Im sure I had a stupid look on my face, I could not believe it, that deer here, living in the junk pile. He knew it was me b/c I have had several incounters with this deer. The deer bolted north so I squatted and got ready for the only open spot I could see and when he entered the opening, which about the size of a trash can lid, I let her rip. I instently ran up the hill east to get to high ground to see if he made it out of the creek. I was looking north and about 350 yrds I saw him cross the pond dam spill way into the creek behind the pond dam:violin:. Long gone, found his tracks before he went across the spill way and no blood. I will admit when I shot I was high on his back and figuring at 50 yrds A clean miss. Now I will post pics, trail cam pics, only if I end up getting him this year or the next. I figured after this encounter, I just made him that much more smarter. This deer is very unique and do not want the word out of the where abouts of this deer, or where he use to be anyways. Sorry, but hopfuly will share success pics soon. Thanks for reading I already feel better, b/c I know you can not tag a deer if you don't shoot. I'm going to stay after him, the now named "Junkyard Buck". I now realized the name fits b/c he is TRASHY.

Love it when somebody get to name a deer and hunts that deer.:D:D

Most of mine never get a chance to get a name in the milisecond it takes the bullet to get to him.

We do have a doe in the yard now with her fawn, that goes to the apple tree every evening we have named "whiskers".
She has one whisker that is a foot long from her lower jaw.
Always comes in on the west side of the yard so her whisker is visible.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom