Advice on putting truck in 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getsum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok :
Just bought a truck from craigslist.
CHEAP - but everything should work.
Putting it on my land...
I have only had a newer push button chevy 4x4.

it is a
97 F250 w/ a 460ci engine..
It is a 4 spd manual w/ 5th being overdrive..

Now -
It has locking differentials, and a manual shifter inside.
shifter shows -
2H
4H
4L

Walk me through putting it in / out of 4x4 ..
any tricks, input, advice , etc...

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok :
Just bought a truck from craigslist.
CHEAP - but everything should work.
Putting it on my land...
I have only had a newer push button chevy 4x4.

it is a
97 F250 w/ a 460ci engine..
It is a 4 spd manual w/ 5th being overdrive..

Now -
It has locking differentials, and a manual shifter inside.
shifter shows -
2H
4H
4L

Walk me through putting it in / out of 4x4 ..
any tricks, input, advice , etc...

In normal (2WD) use it should stay in 2H.
The hubs obviously need to be locked in for 4H or 4L.
You can put in into 4H anytime, I believe you can push it into 4H even when you're under way(low speeds).
4L-You must be in neutral. If it starts to grind..put it in gear and move the truck forward slowly and as its rolling push it into 4L(with clutch pushed in). Rolling slowly helps it engage sometimes. To take it out of 4L, go back to neutral and do the same thing if it's hard to move the shifter.
After you put it back in 2H and unlock the hubs, I always back up a few feet to make sure the hubs unlock.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it locking hubs on the front axle to lock it in 4wd? Not sure when they did away with those, but had an older Ford just had to put it in P or N, get out (ahhh push button!), lock the hubs, kick it in 4wd and go.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2000 7.3L F-250 4x4

4H- If it is shift on the fly (has the nob to electronically shift to 4x4) then you can shift into 4x4 at any speed under 40mph. Do not exceed 40 mph in 4H at anytime.

4H- Not shift on the fly, you must stop and put the car in N before shifting into 4H

4L- Put the truck into neutral at a stop and shift into 4L, and it should lock in. If it does not lock in put the truck into 2 and get up to 2-3 mph and shift to neutral then sift into 4L while slowly rolling.

After shifting out of 4 wheel drive I always put the car in drive and move forward 10 yards, then back up 10 yards just to make sure I get out of 4 wheel.

Tricks/Tips, if you start to get stuck, STOP and call someone to pull you out. These big trucks are nearly impossible to get out if you get it down to the frame. Last hunting season I got my truck down to the frame, and it took another f-250 diesel, and a 3500 Dodge diesel pulling at the same time to get me out. It was not really muddy or anything, I just started rocking the truck to get it out and hit the frame.

My suggestion is that if you get to the point where you cannot go forward anymore, try to back out. If you can't back out in one try get off the gas and on the phone. It may take a little longer for someone to drive out to you, but it will save headaches.

You do not have to get out and manually shift into 4 wheel on the hubs unless it does not lock into 4 wheel on its own.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The manual locking hubs engage the actual wheel with the axle. Without them they are not powered under 4wd.

Most newer vehicles(yours included) are considered shift on the fly. You can leave the hubs locked in and shift it into 4wd when you are going to need it(manuals say up to 55mph but I wouldn't chance it at that speed. Expect mileage to decrease with the hubs locked in. Although with the 460ci engine who is counting.

1shott mentioned the method for 4lo. some vehicle movement helps get the transfer case locked into 4Lo.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have these?

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 173

getsum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope - Does not look like that - has a handle with arroe pointing in a location to LOCK the hubs in.

You actually have a little handle on each of the front wheels that you turn to lock it in...

It is a manual 4 spd tranny w/ 5th being overdrive.

So - If I am correct :
to get it into 4H
Put the standard tranny in neutral.
Get out, turn the handles on both front wheels to lock them in.
Get in, move the 4x4 handle to 4H and then put the standard tranny shifter into 1st.
-If it does not seem to go in, then try to shift it into the 4H while I creep - real slow and it should go in...

When done -
get out, unlock hubs, then get back in truck, put in neutral, shift back to 2H, then shift manual tranny into rev and roll a few feet to make sure I have it disengated....

Sound right ?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
manual lockout hubs are the best!!!!

sure wish my cummins dodge 4x4 had em... actually considering spending $1,200 for a conversion to manual hubs.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard of driving backward with manual hubs to get it out of 4wd. When turn the knob to lock, they are locked. When you turn them back, it's not locked in anymore. If you have manual hubs, it's okay to leave them locked in if you anticipate needing 4wd and then only shifting the t-case into 4H when you need the 4wd. Then you don't have to get out of the truck to lock in the hubs. Just make sure your back wheels aren't spinning when you go to shift into 4H.

Latest posts

Top Bottom