All in all, do Americans have an overall healthy and happy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
life nowadays or was there a better time in history to be alive as an American human? Remember, money and material stuff is not everything. There is no greater wealth than health. Older people use to gripe about the passing of the good old days.

Just one mere example out of a million things that has changed over time: Older automobiles looked much better in style and generally felt more solid. They were generally easier to come by economically speaking. People praise newfangled vehicles for safety, a dash-load of tech-junk and other things but you will have to work longer and harder to get a a newer car. There's the trade-off? See the point?

It all boils down to what YOU as an individual value.

Last edited:

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you AlongCameJones.....I miss the old days and your right about the new vehicles. I do have a newer pickup for ranching but my favorite ride is my 99 Cadillac that my mother purchased new in 1999. She gifted it to me when she was no longer able to drive.....its been a great ride and as of today only has 30,842 miles on it....I bet it will last me the rest of my life as I only use it around town. I just had the original 22 year old tires replaced....they had plenty of tread but 22 years is old in tire years.....ha...ha...ha The interior is one of the nicest that I've ever seen on a car in its price range.
I know when I was growing up most families only had one bread winner (usually the man of the house) as one income was enough for a good middle class lifestyle.
I believe that people in the 50's and 60's were much happier and content than people are today..... We had very few tech devices and the ones we had did not get used all day like tech devices today....O' the good ol' days...

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking the 1970's and 1960's were the golden age of automobiles for solid feel and timeless style. By the early mid-1970's, car bodies and interiors started to get cheesy in build quality. Nowadays, cars have no style and tupper-ware interiors. I can't tell one brand from another anymore. The younger-punk generations had to screw everything up. I'm now 57. Do I sound like a 95-year-old grouch?

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Young people now dress like bums. I just saw a young woman "doctor" the other day with tattooed arms, no hat and long loose hair and casual dress working in the Comanche County hospital. There was a time when doctors and nurses were well-groomed and wore clean white uniforms. These are the days I miss.

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am quite happy within my own little bubble of friends and family. However, I am concerned about many things happening outside of my bubble --- concerned that they may pop my little bubble. Don't go poppin' my bubble.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am quite happy within my own little bubble of friends and family. However, I am concerned about many things happening outside of my bubble --- concerned that they may pop my little bubble. Don't go poppin' my bubble.

Your sense of humor is an excellent defense against that. Keep it up and your bubble will hold

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we're better off in every measure, except stress. With all the technology and connectivity we have with each other and the rest of the world, you'd think life would be "easier". In many ways it is, but in some ways it's as hard as ever. We're probably the least fit we've ever been except the Great Depression. I believe as a society, we've lost a tremendous amount of individual capability, from growing food to repairing daily use items. I believe public education is failing society as well. It's not the teachers fault IMO, it's a disconnect between education academia and society on what kids need to learn in order to be well functioning adults in society.

It does seem like some costs are beyond the pale in a time where pickup trucks can exceed $90K (Ram TRX Launch Edition), but stuff like consumer electronics are as cheap as they've ever been. Commodities have increased substantially this year, but we're still running an average of 3.2% over the past 4 decades (for now).

I just think we've been conditioned to expect and demand "more", even though "more" doesn't always make us happier. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I hope it does get less stressful someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom