America's debt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why should I have to experience some pain? All I've done is work hard and study hard to get into the place I am now. I've paid in more than I'll ever get back out of the system. There are millions of people just like me. Let's start by letting those who won't help themselves experience the pain. If there is still pain left over, I'll take my fair share. But let's stop causing pain for the makers just so we can lessen the pain for the takers.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not doing either. I'm looking at GDP numbers.

Fair enough, but recessions used to also be defined by the inclusion of unemployment numbers too and we've grown there since they claimed it ended back in '09 or whenever.

My point is simply a rebuttal of the argument being thrown around that we can just pay the interest on our debt and everything will be hunky dory because there is so much waste and unnecessary spending that we won't have any problem.
That's just too simplistic to work in the real world.
The numbers don't work.

What is the problem?
The left has moved so far to the left and the right has moved so far to the right that there aren't enough people left in the middle to govern anymore.

What is the answer?
Everyone is going to have to experience some pain. Not just the people I don't like or agree with.

Well I will agree mostly with that. I don't make any claim that we should just pay interest. I don't believe that it's the right time to be raising taxes, I believe that FIRST the budget needs an enema to jettison all of the waste.

Let's face it, NOBODY on either side of the ailse is going to vote to get rid of their pet project and pork money as long as they can go back to the well of taxpayers. I agree that the corporate jet tax break Obama gave during the bailout should go away... I don't think anyone would argue. As far as tax revenues go, I and many other American's are looking at all of this and just saying they are fed up with the Fed wasting their money and asking for more. I would love to have back every single dollar that we wasted during the bailouts and TARP and so would a lot of others now that we found out the ways it was abused.

So let's hold them to account... every single dollar spent justified. Can't do it without hardline tactics.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So let's hold them to account... every single dollar spent justified. Can't do it without hardline tactics.

I want to see them audit the Fed Reserve; I'd love to let everyone see where all of the taxpayer's money, confiscated by a private institution went. The taxpayers of this nation have every right to demand such information, but unfortunately too many politicians have no desire to force them to provide it. Ever ask yourself why?

You should.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to see them audit the Fed Reserve; I'd love to let everyone see where all of the taxpayer's money, confiscated by a private institution went. The taxpayers of this nation have every right to demand such information, but unfortunately too many politicians have no desire to force them to provide it. Ever ask yourself why?

You should.

NOW you're talking real money.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why should I have to experience some pain? All I've done is work hard and study hard to get into the place I am now. I've paid in more than I'll ever get back out of the system. There are millions of people just like me. Let's start by letting those who won't help themselves experience the pain. If there is still pain left over, I'll take my fair share. But let's stop causing pain for the makers just so we can lessen the pain for the takers.

Doc, I agree with your way of thinking!

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish my household budget worked like the yahoos on tv say the federal govt. does. They say that if we don't increase the debt limit, other countries will lose faith in our ability to pay them back. So if we don't get another credit card, all of our bankers will lose faith in our ability to pay them back. Just try that argument with your local banker, it's madness.

To think that we do not have the money to cut is also madness. Just look at that pie chart for discretionary spending. It nearly equals SS, Medicare, or defense spending. I promise you that there are billions that can be cut in discretionary spending alone.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't want to see the debt limit raised, point blank. I don't care WHAT kind of spending cuts are included with the agreement, I will be LIVID with any Oklahoma legislator that votes in favor of ANY kind of debt limit increase. I'll let them know about it too.

I am probably in the bottom 10% percentile on this forum when it comes to annual income, but even I admit the rich pay their fair share already. It infuriates me when I hear Democrats say that the rich have to share the pain.

If this government would truly cut all of its unnecessary programs and agencies, we would have more money than we'd know what to do with.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
amedia.economist.com_images_images_magazine_2011_07_02_us_20110702_usd000.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom