America's first climate change refugees are preparing to leave an island that will disappear under t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The climate has been changing since the beginning of time. In the '70s or '80s, scientists were predicting another ice age. :drunk2:

I was there in that time. I remember reading an article in a major news magazine that "scientists" were considering the idea of covering the north and south poles with soot so as to diminish the "radiation of cold" from the ice.

Fast forward to perhaps within the last decade and "scientists" were considering the option of sending mirrors into space to "reflect back the sun's rays."

I don't even have a college degree and I think I'm smarter than that...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just delta sediment islands. Islands like the nation of Kiribati are expected to be underwater as soon as 2010. There's not losing land to delta erosion; they're losing exposed land due to rising water and warming ocean temps.

Debate the causes and our impact on climate all you want; we can't prove those and it's anyone's guess how much we're accelerating things. But we can certainly observe that the change is occurring.
Parts of Oklahoma was under 200' of seawater at one time. I can take you to Lake Ponca and show you fossils that exist only under the ocean.
So by the seas are rising theory, how does one explain the seas falling in the past when man was not in the picture?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just delta sediment islands. Islands like the nation of Kiribati are expected to be underwater as soon as 2010. There's not losing land to delta erosion; they're losing exposed land due to rising water and warming ocean temps.

Debate the causes and our impact on climate all you want; we can't prove those and it's anyone's guess how much we're accelerating things. But we can certainly observe that the change is occurring.
Using Kiribalti as an example is disingenuous.
The notion that Kiribati will sink because of rising sea levels is a narrative that's powerful in its simplicity. But scientists have their doubts.

Atolls constantly expand and erode. Storms and tides deposit material on one side of the island even as they wash it away on the other.

If more washes up than washes away, the atolls grow, and Kiribati will rise with the tide. In short, many scientists think the islands will shift rather than sink, and climate change will speed up the process.

So there you have it. One tiny little atoll, no matter how much it pains the climate change activists is patently not true. Nature has been moving atols since the first one was formed way back when.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Parts of Oklahoma was under 200' of seawater at one time. I can take you to Lake Ponca and show you fossils that exist only under the ocean.
So by the seas are rising theory, how does one explain the seas falling in the past when man was not in the picture?

Scientists do not and have not argued the severity or any particular occurrence of "climate change" or that man was ever needed. What they are arguing is the actual rate of change that we are observing and that man has influence on that.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

LOL did you ready my post? What I states was, quite plainly, that climate changes. Others in the thread even comments to the same sentiment. I didn't argue particularly why it's changing. But one observed phenomena of this is rising seas. Even the article you link doesn't dispute the sea level rise; rather it argues that the islands can survive it:

new evidence now suggests that these small islands will be more resilient to sea-level rise than we thought.... Our study sites are in regions of the Pacific Ocean where sea level has been rising at more than 2mm per year for the past five decades.

Scientists do not and have not argued the severity or any particular occurrence of "climate change" or that man was ever needed. What they are arguing is the actual rate of change that we are observing and that man has influence on that.

Exactly, thank you. The debate is if we have any impact on the changes that empirically are being observed.

Last edited:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just want the climate change gurus to prove a period in time where the climate did not change. Is that too much to ask? :anyone:

Let is see, I'll try to help them out. I'll start timing:

Tic-toc, Tic-toc, Tic-toc, ...... Oops! Sorry, it just changed.

OK, I'll start over:

Tic-toc, Tic-toc, Tic-toc, ...... Oops! Sorry, it just changed again.

One more try:

Tic-toc, Tic-toc, Tic-toc, ...... Oops! it just changed again. Damn!

What is that they say about trying something over and over and expecting a different result? Oh, yeah. It's insanity. I'm off to the funny farm!

Woody

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know --- It might not have a thing to do with the oceans rising. Maybe the land is twisting, and wrinkling, and shuffling about, and sinking. Maybe a gigantic quake caused a 200 foot tsunami to wash over Oklahoma all those years ago and deposited all those fossils.

Makes about as much sense as any other guessing out there does! :sunbath:

Woody

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know --- It might not have a thing to do with the oceans rising. Maybe the land is twisting, and wrinkling, and shuffling about, and sinking. Maybe a gigantic quake caused a 200 foot tsunami to wash over Oklahoma all those years ago and deposited all those fossils.

Makes about as much sense as any other guessing out there does! :sunbath:

Woody

Wonder if it might have been a global flood?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if it might have been a global flood?

Yes, the "global" flood that forgot to take out multiple civilizations including the Egyptians.

Someone did the physics on that story, can't remember but you'd have to have something like 20 ft of rainfall an hour.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the "global" flood that forgot to take out multiple civilizations including the Egyptians.

Someone did the physics on that story, can't remember but you'd have to have something like 20 ft of rainfall an hour.

If you had read the Bible about the flood, it wasn't all rainfall.

I'll leave that hanging there and let you go research it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom