Any Graphics Artists here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some stock graphics that I used and modified to make up a business card for the little lady like she wanted. It looks great and has it just the way I want it, but it's only in 72 dpi and CKMY instead of 350dpi and RGB like all the printers want.

I can just insert it into the high res template and let the printer do the RGB conversion... in fact I already have and sent it over to the printer for a test. I'm just not sure it's going to come out good.

I think I need someone who is skilled in actually doing the graphic work to touch up the image that I'm using. The main issue is the primary stock graphic that I only have in 72 dpi and it's pretty rough around the edges. I think I need a computer artist to clean it up for me with a skilled hand.

Any suggestions or help?

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's going to be hard to upconvert a 72 dpi image to 350 dpi image. Even with the best image enhancers and careful up-ressing and unsharpening every 2% up to the correct size, there's no guarantee that the image will come out sharp. What the printer will probably do is open it up in photoshop or equivalent edior and change the dpi to 350 in the menu and call it done. This is going to result in your image being fuzzy and pixellated. It's the equivalent of taking a 200x200px image and digitally blowing it up to 2000x2000px.

The other alternative is to turn the image into a vector. Depending on how complicated the image or logo mark is, it can be relatively easy and painless or damn near impossible. The printer may decide to import your low res image into illustrator and do an auto-trace on the image, which almost never yields great results without a lot of time spent on cleanup.

On your stock images, were they originally larger in resolution that you scaled down for your business cards? If so, do you still have the original unaltered stock images? You may be able to redesign in 350dpi by doing a lossless dpi conversion on the stock images, but you can only do this if the original stock images were large images in 72 dpi to begin with.

Also, I noticed you mention that the image is stock. If it is, be sure to carefully read the agreement for usage on stock. Most royalty free stock (even paid ones) do not allow the usage of stock as a logo mark or do not allow use for mass replication (which usually has a separate higher cost for this right.) I know a business who has been sued for using a royalty free stock as their logo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom