Any Mini-30 owners out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking into adding one to my collection and am looking for input from those who have or have had one.

What I am most looking to get info for is:
Reliability
Function with steel case ammo
Would you buy one again if you lost it in a boating accident?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking into adding one to my collection and am looking for input from those who have or have had one.

What I am most looking to get info for is:
Reliability
Function with steel case ammo
Would you buy one again if you lost it in a boating accident?

I got one right after they went to the newer/current model.

The Good: Nice gun. Something different. Ruger OEM 20-round mags are readily available. Boringly reliable* in terms of feeding, ejection, etc...

The Bad: Price. They're really expensive for what they are.

The Ugly: Mine functioned fine in terms of feeding and ejection with Russian steel-cased ammo. But the Russian stuff must have some really hard primers because mine had about a 50% failure to fire with the Russian ammo, even with what appeared to be very solid primer strikes. With any other type of ammo function was 100%.

So, for me, that was a deal breaker. I suppose that might be fixable but the whole point of having it was to shoot cheap, commie ammo. I doubt I'd get another. I have two Mini-14s and love them both...an old one and a newer one.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
The Ugly: Mine functioned fine in terms of feeding and ejection with Russian steel-cased ammo. But the Russian stuff must have some really hard primers because mine had about a 50% failure to fire with the Russian ammo, even with what appeared to be very solid primer strikes. With any other type of ammo function was 100%.
I’ve had no issues with Russian Silver Bear steel cased ammo.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had mine a long time. Pigs and deer have fallen to it.
Accuracy is only fair. Going to add a barrel strut soon.
Added a Williams rear sight and a Choate front sight/flash hider. Can see them better than the original.
Surplus ammo has been fine since I added an extra power hammer spring. Before that it would fail to ignite surplus once in a while. Non-surplus ammo was fine.
Feeding with cheap mags has been iffy.....no issue with Ruger mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom