Any Night Guard owners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the dozen or so revolvers I've owned and/or shot, just about the only one that I really liked was the S&W 325 Night Guard, in 45 ACP. I bought one new when they were on the market, but sold it to cover some unexpected veterinary bills a few years ago. I've missed it since, so when I got the chance to buy an ANIB example this week, I jumped on it. I'll be receiving it next week, and am looking forward to it.

Anyone else here have a NG? The 327 is intriguing...

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recoil. It's not unmanageable, but it's pretty snappy. This one is a keeper, I can't imagine selling it. :)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So only one other forum member has a NG? I know those pistols are uncommon, but really? I wish I'd been more perceptive at the time they were being sold by S&W, so I could have bought more!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recoil. It's not unmanageable, but it's pretty snappy. This one is a keeper, I can't imagine selling it. :)

Revisiting this, as there are a couple 327's for sale I could buy. What loads were you using that made for a snappy recoil? I'm guessing either 38 Special + loads or 357?

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Revisiting this, as there are a couple 327's for sale I could buy. What loads were you using that made for a snappy recoil? I'm guessing either 38 Special + loads or 357?

158gr 357s. A lot of the snappiness is because of the light weight combined with the grips that were on it. The factory wooden grips look great, but they're a little abusive. I swapped them for some ugly but cushiony (that's not a word) pachmayrs. That helped quite a lot. 38 spl +p ammo makes it handle pretty well and probably perform just as well out of that short barrel.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't they come from the factory with the Pachmayr grips? Or were the wooden grips a factory option? I looked at an archived copy of S&W's web site, and it showed the Pachmayr grips as installed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom