Any one into Rc helicopter or multirotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Built, sold just about every size and form of rc boats for 32 yrs. I raced them for 10 yrs too. Nitro, FE(fast electrics) and gas with some being shipped to foreign countries. That said you heli guys are amazing with those things.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one of the $60 sharper image helo's. That thing sucks. I say that because the operator can't operate it. LOL.....Indoor model. The guy in the store could make that thing hover, zoom around, etc.
I just can't make it happen.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a T-Rex Clone 450. it is a collective pitch helicopter...a 450 size heli is a great balance between performance and cost of repair. I would figure out if you want a helicopter or a multirotor system right now, and then split the path that way, while I have never owned a multicopter, I know they are a different beast.

I purchased a clone for a few reasons: Parts are interchangeable to the original cloned models, clone cost is a fraction of the cost of the branded versions (and can be just as good), and if I didn't like it I wasn't out thousands of dollars. It is addicting! I purchased a decent radio up front, as they can be used for a lot of things other than helicopters.

I would stay away from Nitro and stick with Electric. Some tips....dont skimp on the radio and dont skimp on the servos. Most helicopters now are flybarless and require a flybarless computer, with cloned versions can be had for around $60-150 depending on features, while the name brand guys can be had for around $200-500.00 depending on features. Rescue feature could save you big money, but the biggest money saver would be a Simulator for the computer, such as realflight, Phoenix, AccuRC, and a few others. They cost around $100-130.00 but will save you ten fold in repairs once you get to training on them.

I am not a fan of multi-rotor's yet, but may eventually get into them if the market is forcing me too...until then helicopters all the way.

To get into the game with a 450 Class (clone), charger, radio, it could run you around $750-1000.00. The larger helicopters like Class 500,600,700 will cost around $1500-3500 to get fully built with decent electronics. If you are interested, let me know and I can give you more advice.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is that mCP X the brushless or original version? I've got the original and love it. Also have a 130X and a 300CFX. The 300 is in pieces right now from a brutal crash :(

When I got it way back when they first came out (Mine has the V2 board) it was brushed. It's now been upgraded to a high performance brushless main motor. extended tail boom, all metal head. custom body and landing gear. extended flight batteries and carbon fiber main blades. . . It's like a tiny little hole in the sky you throw money into, just like a boat.

The bigger bird is much less hopped up. It has fiberglass main rotors and an upgraded receiber. Thats about it. It's the flybar version and is very stable and mild mannered. The original batteries have long been used up, so it's running on aftermarket batteries (which actually last long and have more power). I did upgrade the motor, but just got the newer version of the Blade puts on the flybarless model. It runs cooler.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A colleague of mine has a high dollar drone with 4 props. That thing is incredible. It is loaded with an camera that shoots live video back to him. He routinely runs it over his hunting spot to scout for deer and ducks.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently fly a Blade 350qx3 with a Sjcam4000+. It's a great beginner quadcopter. They're currently on sale because of the new blade Chroma coming out. If your wanting something small,
look into a Nano qx with FPV. $160 with camera controller. Don't use wifi while flying your quad, that's whats causing the majory of the fly aways/crashes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom