Anybody tried store-bought moonshine cherries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The kind at the liquor store, with maraschino cherries in the mason jar?

It's probably made in New York City (!) but gets a good review from the Bayou Renaissance Man blog:

"...Oh, my goodness.

These things are like crack in a jar! They're delicious! I'm on my second helping of them already, and feeling little pain by now - they're more effective than many pain pills I've tried (and I've tried most of them in the eleven-odd years since my disabling injury)...

The only caution I'll give you is to eat them slowly, and sip rather than gulp the liqueur they come in. It's strong stuff, and will have you coughing and spluttering if you rush it..."

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2015/01/theyre-like-crack-in-jar.html

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I make my own...buy a bag of frozen Dole dark cherries at Walmart and marinate them in maraschino cherry liquor from the liquor store. About 3 days and they are good to go. I used either the Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli or Luxardo brand liquor.
You can also marinate them in brandy for a different flavor.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make my own...buy a bag of frozen Dole dark cherries at Walmart and marinate them in maraschino cherry liquor from the liquor store. About 3 days and they are good to go. I used either the Paolo Lazzaroni & Figli or Luxardo brand liquor.
You can also marinate them in brandy for a different flavor.

Those aren't moonshine cherries the OP is asking about. That's something different. I tried the moonshine cherries and thought they were okay. Didn't drink the leftover liquid.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the Old Smokey cherries.....they are rough!
Yes they are. I ate them because they were free, but I wouldn't buy them. I'd rather buy some Luxardo cherries and soak them in a Manhattan while I drink it, then eat the cherries after. If you haven't tried Luxardo cherries, you're really missing out. They're damned expensive, but they're worth it. Their darker, more rich flavor makes the bright red cherries most people use taste like trash. I used to LOVE the typical maraschino cherries you get in a Sonic drink or an ice cream sunday, but there's no going back once you've had the good stuff. My wife and I drink Manhattans quite often, so we go through them faster than most. You only need about a teaspoon of juice and 2-4 cherries per cocktail, so a $20 jar lasts a while

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried those old smokie cherries they were not bad they do have a kick. I think the best way is to mix them up because they are a little bitter but thats expected of moonshine

Latest posts

Top Bottom