Anyone know anything about lawn rollers; weight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's a lawn, he's not building a structure on it. Oh BTW, watering ALONE is adequate to compact soil. I do it by the million cubic yards. Been working that angle for 25 years and yes, it's an approved method if the lift is less than 4" and that's for structural purposes.
So, I'm not wrong just because you don't know engineering.
Works great on those Oklahoma Highways!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Works great on those Oklahoma Highways!
We don't use that on highways alone as those dirt lifts are usually in excess of 8". Moisture and compaction with a sheep's foot roller are required. Are you an engineer? Do you wanna get down n dirty about soil compaction? I can tell you how to compact your soil so it harder than your head if you'd like. Water, lime, compaction, PH tests, the whole 9 yards.
Step up or STFU

Last edited:

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We don't use that on highways alone as those dirt lifts are usually in excess of 8". Moisture and compaction with a sheep's foot roller are required. Are you an engineer? Do you wanna get down n dirty about soil compaction? I can tell you how to compact your soil so it harder than your head if you'd like. Water, lime, compaction, PH tests, the whole 9 yards.
Step up or STFU
It is a yard, he don't want it packed that much. You just keep on doing what you are good at.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1005u1.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Step up or STFU
Fly ash as well.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If compacting for a new lawn then sure. Some water and just a pull behind water filled plastic lawn roller.

Now, Mr Civil Engineer with decades of experience. Why don't you show me/us where compacting soil in 4" lifts with water for anything other than a lawn is acceptable per code/standard. I want see code for OKlahoma or Tulsa Counties that show this is acceptable. How about ODOT code? Because you have been doing it this way for 25 years doesn't mean it's right.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If compacting for a new lawn then sure. Some water and just a pull behind water filled plastic lawn roller.

Now, Mr Civil Engineer with decades of experience. Why don't you show me/us where compacting soil in 4" lifts with water for anything other than a lawn is acceptable per code/standard. I want see code for OKlahoma or Tulsa Counties that show this is acceptable. How about ODOT code? Because you have been doing it this way for 25 years doesn't mean it's right.
There is a lot of dirt moved on a highway project that isnt under the pavement structure. Side slopes get watered and sodded. And soil placed under the main grading section of the road has strict requirements for compaction. Something like 95% which is HARD. I'd have to look in the spec book to remember exactly butt I aint got the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom