Anyone using an abor press for bullet seating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an arbor press and dies for my bullet seating. Redding Comp dies are $250 or so and I can get a press and dies for two cartridges for that...with better accuracy, etc.

What you think?

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you loadimg for brenchrest ? An arbor press is about the only place you use that for. Or are you OPD . comp dies and a good single stage press will build very accure ammo.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an arbor press and will sometimes use it for really heavy tasks, but I can get much more accuracy with the standard press, I adjust the die so that the press just cams over at the finish point and that takes all the guess work out of using an arbor press.

olredhead

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been using a Lee Classic kit for years and couldn't stand beating on the cases and bullets with a rubber mallet so adapted a home made arbor to size and seat bullets. Don't load large amounts of ammo but get very good accuracy out of my handloads.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been using a Lee Classic kit for years and couldn't stand beating on the cases and bullets with a rubber mallet so adapted a home made arbor to size and seat bullets. Don't load large amounts of ammo but get very good accuracy out of my handloads.

I did this with several different calibers years ago, a GOOD lube is absolutely essential. I prefer imperial sizing die wax over anything else I have tried, especially with the lee classic hammer it in set..

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cases last way longer if you lube them. Without lube, I had to hammer the heck out of them and destroyed quite a few before I got some good lube, that was in the early '70s.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really, I usually wipe them off to keep them from attracting too much dust, but they will shoot just as they come out. You rub your finger across the tub of wax, roll the case against your finger with the wax on it and that's it. I don't know how many thousand cases a single tin of Imperial sizing die wax will do, but it is a lot. The tins are slightly smaller than a standard can of shoe polish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom