Lee Hand Press--What Do You Think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do a lot of loading for pistol cartridges on one sitting in the living room. As long as you're not trying to size most rifle brass they will take care of large pistol , 45/70 and other straight wall rifle cases quite handily .

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad and I started out with a hand press. We resized rifle rounds up to 30-06. As long as you properly lubed the cases it worked fine. My biggest issue was actually decapping. You need to be careful to dump the spent primers frequently or they will bind up the shell holder. With carbide dies, sizing pistol cases is a snap.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend a bench mounted press

A friend of mine got one for Christmas when we were high school. I got a bench mounted press the same Christmas.

He figured out very quickly that it was easy to keep his dies and components in a box at my place and load on my press.

We played with it, and he eventually found a good used single station press.

It worked but lacked the ergonomics of a bench mounted press.

It’s worthless for heavy duty stuff like reforming cases into other calibers.

303 British was no fun in it.

9mm and other smaller stuff was ok

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.5x55
That not a good choice for the hand press unless you’re neck sizing only.

I seem to recall that pulling the case back over the sizing ball was also an issue.

I think you can make that case by full length resizing 284 Winchester in a standard die and trimming

Neck annealing may be required. Can’t remember, it’s been too long.

I would not try forming it in a hand press

If you have multiple presses you need a way to calibrate the presses to each other, or you have to adjust your dies when you swap presses.

Have fun with that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom