Anyone with experience with Generac generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 5500W Generac but know the thing will sit 99% of the time. I'm really good at maintaining my yard equiptment but it dosen't just sit. Also considering a Honda EU2000i knowing it will last a decade but it wont run my furnace. We have gas fireplace and a kerosene heater and was able to keep the house around 66 degrees during this last ice event. The furnace would be nice but tv, lights and coffee seem most necessary. Thoughts?

Coz

If you let it run about 10-15 minutes a month, it will work great. I rent the Honda EU2000 gens. They work great and hold up to rental use.

greg1996zz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Generac GP7000E. Quality control from the factory was bad. The fuel shutoff valve was faulty and had be replaced before I could start the generator. It had low voltage and would never get above 112V (Generac said that was within spec and would not fix it).

Two months after the warranty expired the engine blew. This was the full pressure industrial engine. It had less than 50 hours on it and was well maintained by me.

It has been at the Generac repair center for 2 years due to slow shipment of parts from Generac and the apparently poorly trained tech can't figure out how to make it work.

Not a Generac fan!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That Harbor Freight generator looks like a pretty good deal especially like the electric start feature. With a little Oklahoma engineering it could be turned into an automatic backup generator.

I bought a 5500 watt portable the year before the ice-maggedon, TV stations were predicting an ice storm in 06 that never happened so the generator sat for a year. Was sure glad I already had it when the ice hit in 07, generators were hard to come by when the ice hit.

My annual routine is pretty simple. About this time of year I fill it up with gas and run it just to make sure it works. I shut the gas off and let it run out the gas in the carb then fill two more 5 gal gas jugs. This gives me 15 gallons and about 36 hours before I have to go looking for more gas. If it isn't needed over the winter I use the gas in the jugs and generator for the mowers. I have used it a couple times in combination with my welder as a portable welding rig but it typically doesn't get used in the summer months. Running it once a year has been enough to keep it working, maybe I've just been lucky but see no reason to run one every month.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My furnace is a 1/3 hp 120v and should run off of the Honda EU200i. It costs almost twice as much but I think it might be easier to maintain and probably more dependable. I'm sure once I make the purchase the power outages will cease. Kinda like my tornado shelter. No threat since I had it installed.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My furnace is a 1/3 hp 120v and should run off of the Honda EU200i. It costs almost twice as much but I think it might be easier to maintain and probably more dependable. I'm sure once I make the purchase the power outages will cease. Kinda like my tornado shelter. No threat since I had it installed.

Knock on wood, ya, haven't needed my generator since 07 and storm shelter since I bought it. Good insurance..

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't have to run the furnace get the inverter generator.

Multiple advantages:
Very economical on fuel. You can run for hours on a gallon of gasoline and avoid planning every day around obtaining and transporting more fuel for the guzzler generators.

Clean power that is ideal for sensitive electronics.

Inverter generators speed up or down to meet demand so they much quieter.

Most of them are also suitable for campground or RV use.

The Honda and Yamaha are the cream of the crop.
I bought a Briggs for a little less.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a 20 K Generac at work (power by a Ford V10 engine) that runs on natural gas and it works GREAT! Kept all the computers and networks servers up with no problem for over a week during the last ice storm. The wife and I are looking for a house with some acreage and are thinking about are looking at a 11 K Propane/Natural Gas Generac to run the whole house, winter or summer. They are down to around $3500 now with the transfer switch but you gota figure probably around $1500 more to have it hooked up by a licensed electrician.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Generac when i was in Florida(hurricane territory) and it caught fire. I forget what was wrong with it. In any case, i replaced it with a Honda and never looked back.

was 15 years ago, things could have changed or i simply could have had a Lemon. I got my money back.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't have to run the furnace get the inverter generator.

Multiple advantages:
Very economical on fuel. You can run for hours on a gallon of gasoline and avoid planning every day around obtaining and transporting more fuel for the guzzler generators.

Clean power that is ideal for sensitive electronics.

Inverter generators speed up or down to meet demand so they much quieter.

Most of them are also suitable for campground or RV use.

The Honda and Yamaha are the cream of the crop.
I bought a Briggs for a little less.

I have a 4KW Yahama inverter style generator and even though it was expensive, it has been worth it. Even my UPS's are very happy with the power out of it. Check on the prices at Amazon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom