Apartment Home Defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm moving into an apartment next month and just started getting serious about defence lately. I've read a lot about home defence but it's pretty much always specific to suburban/rural type houses. Are there any special considerations when considering defending your apartment? The layout of mine is pretty much a living room connected to a bedroom, all a straight shot from the door with neighbors on both sides, below and across the small open area outside.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over penetration is a huge issue. There was a guy in OKC that had a negligent discharge in his apartment and it killed the neighbor after passing through the wall.
At that close proximity and with those concerns, I'd look real hard at a shotgun with no bigger than #4 bird shot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot em in the face it will.
Over penetration is a major issue in apartments. Two sheet rock walls with some insulation is typically the norm in most apartments from the next room that may contain kids or adults.
IF you hit the intruder with the .45 or the buckshot, its not likely to be an issue, but a miss could be disastrous.
You have a dilemma for sure.
I've had #4 shot penetrate the 5" of a pheasant breast, but that's been at 20-30 yds. Shoot a person at point blank range with even heavy clothing at hallway distance, and they will certainly hesitate long enough for a second shot. I would doubt you would need a second.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also any thoughts on storage location of the HD gun?
Depends if you have kids or not. With kids, it must be secured so they can't wander in and get control of it. Lots of options out there on the internet to do that.
If no kids, they sell a device that fits between the box springs and mattress that puts the shotgun close to hand and likely pointed towards the door if you bed is oriented that way.
I'm not a fan of putting it by the front door. Most apartment doors are easily breached, and if that happens you can't get to it. Your typically not going to be standing by your front door either.
I carry a pistol in the house all the time, with others in rooms where we spend most of our time, and we don't live in a high crime area. One on your person is the best. Shotguns are another issue. I'd keep it in a place I could retreat to while the door was being breached to buy some time. That's just my opinion. Others may have theirs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hm sounds not so bad. Probably a stupid question but does the gauge make a difference penetration wise? Not sure if there's more/bigger pellets or something.
Guage makes no difference for velocity, but a 12 certainly can carry a bigger payload than a 20.
Turkey loads carry huge loads of lead. Brutal to shoot, but they do take care of business with harder shot than cheap loads for better flight and penetration.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'll take your advice and pick up a working man's shotgun soon. Figure it'll be the static defense gun in the bedroom. Still waiting on my permit, but I've been carrying my Snubby the house since I figure it's best to have it in case I can't get anywhere.

Any thoughts on a rifle for home defense? I'm not really sure where rifles fit in with defense or when you'd want to use one. Still want one though lol.
:fullauto:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The AR in .223 has undergone a lot of testing for sheet rock penetration, and has shown to have low penetration depending on the round selected.
Just my opinion, but I'd opt to use a fragile varmint round in an apartment. Plenty of penetration on a human, but would break up passing through sheet rock.
I've killed a boat load of deer and other animals with lots of calibers and bullets. Some pass right on through, and some break up in the animal by design.
Again just my opinion based on my visual experience while field dressing game.

Latest posts

Top Bottom