Appleseed shoot: Afton, OK Oct. 23-24

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, apparently Mike Nelson, our generous host, liked how we did things at our last event at Excalibur Sporting Goods, and we have been invited back for the weekend of October 23-24.

Come be a part of the restoration of our heritage of marksmanship, and hear the amazing true story of the birth of our nation, told like you've never heard it before. We will work with you to improve your rifle marksmanship, no matter what your current skill level. NOBODY teaches the fundamentals better than us... and as any pro will tell you, fundamentals are EVERYTHING, no matter what type of shooting you do. Best of all, Appleseed is a non-profit organization with all volunteer instructors who are highly skilled and dedicated to the cause of turning this country back into a nation of Riflemen. We keep shoots at a very reasonable price ($70 for the weekend, or $40 for one day); plus... women, under 21, active military, guard, or reserve, and anybody in law enforcement shoots free. Bring the whole family -- we are very family-friendly. Appleseed is a run-what-you-brung event -- any safe rifle will do. However, a rifle that loads with mags or stripper clips is ideal for our course of fire (which includes the Army Qualification Test, with forced reloads under time pressure). Either rimfire or center fire is fine, since our course of fire is conducted at 25m.

Some of what you will learn at an Appleseed:

- rock-solid field positions
- how a simple sling can give you more stability than a bipod or sandbag
- the 6 steps to firing the shot
- the Natural Point of Aim technique for achieving maximum stability
- rapid-fire techniques
- Trajectory and Battle Sight Zero
- Techniques for estimating range to target
- Techniques for compensating for wind
- The importance of teaching others, and passing on the heritage

Appleseed is a CMP-affiliated organization, so coming to an Appleseed and joining our parent organization, the RWVA, qualifies you to buy from the CMP, which sells surplus M-1 Garands for $500 (among other things).

Excalibur has a nice setup. There is a full service gun shop on location, and they stock GI web slings, sling mounting hardware, Tech Sights for .22s, and even fully-assembled .22 Liberty Training Rifles, ideal for the Appleseed course of fire and for your own training. He stocks ammo of all types, as well. Hot hamburger lunches will be available on-site for a small price, so no need to pack lunches. Also, bring your shotguns... Mike has a VERY nice wobble trap range, which will be available after the Appleseed is over both days.

I encourage everyone to visit Excalibur Sporting Goods and check out the range -- it is open every day. You can shoot rifles out to 175 yards. He has steel targets for rifle or pistol as well as backers for paper targets, and of course the aforementioned wobble trap range. For a low range fee, you can shoot all you want.

Event Info Page here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15813.0</td><td>

Registration here: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/903433193

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dan, give me a call so we can touch base before the shoot this weekend. Range is ready. We've added more width and a little height to give the shooters some more room (or have more shooters). Also, if there is anything that shooters will need when they get here, contact me so that I can do what I can. (918) 257-4126 Look forward to seeing all, Mike

RWVA shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
Dont forget your trap shooting guns...I didnt get to shoot because of a meeting but got to look out the windows and see..BANG BANG BANG..and busted clays...The range owner is upo for anything you got the ammo you can shoot too...And he does sell ammo and other toys..he had LTR's in 22lr ready to go shooting...I will be back soon ...nice well kepted place thanks Mike.....

RWVA shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
In decmeber we will have one more before the snow sets in..And if your a return shooter well we have a new patch for ya...llooll its a winterseed patch ..It means you stuck it out in bad weather and froze lol so the patch is yours ...

I know you dont need sum stickin patch ..lol We think it will be neat to see just how many have the patches later on in the history of the program...

I myself swore not to get into the patch race but Dang ..they make cool conversation peices at the range lol ....Like I got this one for a week long campout shooting rifles .....

Okay I hope that get a few of you out and shooting again remeber we shoot all year around so now that your IDPA IPSC and the other 3 gun events are over we are still going strong...

seeya soon

Latest posts

Top Bottom