AR-15 carbon fiber lower??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were originally sold by Professional Ordinance, which was bought out by Bushmaster. Bushmaster still sells the CF rifles, which feature CF uppers and lowers. I have a CF upper on an alloy lower and it is a very light rifle.

Cav Arms also sells a polymer lower with integral buttstock which is very light.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use mine for competition, but it wouldn't be my top choice for SHTF work. Bushmaster isn't well regarded these days regarding specifications. You can build a very light weight yet tough & durable rifle with alloy uppers and lowers. An example here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599&highlight=project+featherweight

Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Magpul, Troy Mfg., J.P. Enterprises and some other manufacturers you can find info on over there on M4carbine forums would be good places to look for lightweight components that will stand up to hard use.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well coming from composites bonding in the aircarft field......... I'm not quide sure how CF would hold up. I mean yea its great stuff but for making uppers and lowers out of, well not so sure about. Main this is if there happens to be any air pockets between the layers of cf and how many layers they use in critical areas as well as how they attatch or bond the metal pieces needed to it. For me there are way too many things there to go wrong rather than getting a forged/ billet upper or lower. Yes it'll save a ton of weight but like GTG said only a match rifle i wouldnt put it up against an alloy gun for duty use or putting your life with it.

slimjlm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last ones I saw were injection molded, which would do away with any concerns of separation between the layers, as it is effectively all one layer. An epoxy is mixed with carbon fiber strands (often cut to .25" or so) and forced into a heated mold where it sets up. Being that most carbon fiber composites are stronger than most aluminum alloys (one of the early selling points) it should hold up better than aluminum, but it won't continue to bend or give at all if stressed beyond its maximum, which is very high, it will break. In use they don't seem to be as durable for guns that will be shot much. They are light weight, but swapping that HB for a pencil one will loose more!

Latest posts

Top Bottom