AR-15/M16 Parts kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhayt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found some complete kits from "unissued" M16A1. Of course when they were returned to the US, the receiver and barrel were destroyed. The barrel is in-the-white and chrome lined. All parts appear to be Colt, except probably the barrel. Is $500 reasonable, or would I be better off to pick up something from Midway, etc...?

Olympicarmsfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found some complete kits from "unissued" M16A1. Of course when they were returned to the US, the receiver and barrel were destroyed. The barrel is in-the-white and chrome lined. All parts appear to be Colt, except probably the barrel. Is $500 reasonable, or would I be better off to pick up something from Midway, etc...?

I would look not at midway but at places like Del-Ton and Model1 Sales.

I built my AR from a parts kit using an Essential Arms lower reciever and a Black Thorn upper. The kits from Black Thorn are hate them or love them and Im on the love them as I have no porblems with mine and it goes bang every time.

I have in my kit 630-650 with ten mags.

Keep looking around and I might be wrong but colt uses different pins for uppers and lowers.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Does it have any stamp or marking from Colt on the barrel somewhere?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it has all the parts to build a complete rifle except the lower and fire control group, then you'd have about $650 in a complete AR with Colt parts (except possibly the barrel). I'd say that was worth it. If it's missing any more parts and the barrel isn't Colt, then I'd pass.

They would cost a couple hundred more, but a complete rifle from Daniel Defense or Bravo Company would be far better than anything you could get from Del-Ton, Model 1 or any of the other lower tier parts suppliers.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it has all the parts to build a complete rifle except the lower and fire control group, then you'd have about $650 in a complete AR with Colt parts (except possibly the barrel). I'd say that was worth it. If it's missing any more parts and the barrel isn't Colt, then I'd pass.

They would cost a couple hundred more, but a complete rifle from Daniel Defense or Bravo Company would be far better than anything you could get from Del-Ton, Model 1 or any of the other lower tier parts suppliers.

+1:thumbup3:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This (maybe add in weaponparts.com or riflegear.com).

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If these are the same kits that are being sold in several place, beware that they will have a full-auto sear, trigger, hammer and selector included. You cannot use these parts in your semi-auto build unless they are modified to semi-auto configuration (the auto sear is not used at all in a semi).

[Broken External Image]

As for the barrel markings:

By 1969 and before serial number 1,750,XXX Colt's chrome chamber barrels were marked C MP C, and the proof markings and C were moved to the same spot. This marking was used as late as 1970 or 1971 and serial number 4,552,XXX. The C means Colt’s, the M means Magnetic particle inspected, the P for Proof fired, and the C near the muzzle for Chrome chamber.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_0603_Ekie12091941_variation_20guide_barrelCMPC.jpg

Effective in December 1971 at about serial number 4,700,000 along with the chamber the bores were chromed, early ones were marked C MP B. The C means Colt’s, the M means Magnetic particle inspected, the P for Proof fired, and the B for chrome Bore. The barrel extention on these not chromed:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_0603_Ekie12091941_variation_20guide_barrelCMPB.jpg

Starting in 1974 and after serial number 4,900,000 chrome bores were marked C MP CHROME BORE. This marking was used all the way until the end of M16A1 production:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_0603_Ekie12091941_variation_20guide_barrelCMPCHROMEBORE.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom