AR barrel nut question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
80 FOOT POUNDS???? Well I guess if you torque it untill it breaks then back it off a quarter turn you should be good to go!

BTW ALL the accuracy guys I have ever talked to from Accuracy Speaks to Clint McCee, to Krieger they just hand tighten and then advance to the NEAREST hole to align gas tube.....80 FT/LBS???? GEEEEZUUUSSSSSS!! Good way to spring an upper if you ask me! And NO I don't give a hoot what the TM manual says! KurtM

KurtM, calm down. You always seem to get worked up whenever something doesn't sound right to you. The TM says to torque to a minimum of 30ft/lbs and then continue to the next slot, but at no time to exceed 80ft/lbs. In other words, take it to 30 and loosen; take it again to 30 and loosen; take it a third time to 30 and continue until proper slot alignment is achieved, but do not exceed 80. 30ft/lbs is not much more than hand tight (like you said), but you have to give a maximum value or the armorers would keep tightening until something snapped if they did not get proper slot alignment. Maybe you do not care what the TM says, but I have worked for the Army Ordnance Corps for over 25 years and we do care what the TM says.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I was able to get the barrel nut on and torqued to 80 ft/lbs with the gas tube lined up" Guns Not Groceries

That was the 80 ft/lbs I was referring to...right there in the first post.

As for the T..."When it breaks we go over to the bin full of parts and get another one and then do it all again"....M, I still feel that it gives real BAD advice, and thats WHY your ARMY A.M.U. DOES NOT do it that way! HMMM something to think about.

Also many folks that are just starting out here, will at sometime remember Oh hey they said torque em to 80 ft/lbs, and without all the proper gear and wrenches and action blocks are going to attack their receiver and RUIN IT,...so WHY do you think I try to be EMPHATIC??? MAYBE to save someone some trouble and $$$...cause unlike the "Fighting Ordnance" they can't just say OOOOPPPPPSSS and go to the bin for a new one.

Kurt...8413 (m.o.s.) A.M.U. Support...M

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I was able to get the barrel nut on and torqued to 80 ft/lbs with the gas tube lined up" Guns Not Groceries

That was the 80 ft/lbs I was referring to...right there in the first post.

As for the T..."When it breaks we go over to the bin full of parts and get another one and then do it all again"....M, I still feel that it gives real BAD advice, and thats WHY your ARMY A.M.U. DOES NOT do it that way! HMMM something to think about.

Also many folks that are just starting out here, will at sometime remember Oh hey they said torque em to 80 ft/lbs, and without all the proper gear and wrenches and action blocks are going to attack their receiver and RUIN IT,...so WHY do you think I try to be EMPHATIC??? MAYBE to save someone some trouble and $$$...cause unlike the "Fighting Ordnance" they can't just say OOOOPPPPPSSS and go to the bin for a new one.

Snowed in with no decaf tonight? :D

Its all good man. :thumb:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"As for the T..."When it breaks we go over to the bin full of parts and get another one and then do it all again"....M, I still feel that it gives real BAD advice, and thats WHY your ARMY A.M.U. DOES NOT do it that way! HMMM something to think about.

I look forward to the next change to the TM based on the 2028's I am sure you submitted to correct the "real BAD advice" that is currently in there. I am sure you are empathetic to the troops as well as the folks on here and would hate for them to keep doing things the wrong way. Afterall, if the AMU does it the way you say, then the entire Army should do it that way to. :wink2:

All kidding aside, I really do not see where the "real BAD advice" is. You said "ALL the accuracy guys...just hand tighten and then advance to the NEAREST hole to align gas tube". The TM says torque to 30ft/lbs (which is not much more than hand tight) and then tighten the barrel nut assembly to the next hole to allow for proper alignment of gas tube (while not exceeding 80ft/lbs). Where is the big difference that you feel is "real BAD advice"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom