AR short stroke issue!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 4" calipers to get my size. The 5/64 is a 0.0781. I would take it to the min of 0.093 or a 3/32. If it needs more, the take it to a 7/64 (0.109)

Sounds like its making a good seal, but the port is just to small and the gas is getting out the barrel and not the port. If you drill it out, make sure you put a cleaning rod in the barrel first so do do not drill the bottom of the barrel.

On the first one I drilled out I took it right to the point.... I went 1/8". But I also put on a adjustable gas block as well.

Like I said, I have not ever mess around with the 7.62X39 upper, but I spent time on 300 Black Out and once you said the bit went in tight on the non working upper and a had some play on the working, I would about bet you a cold beer if you drill it out it will run fine.

Keep me updated with what you do. JB

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i drilled out the gas port to 3/32. I got the chance to put 40 rounds through it (20 fmj and 20 hp). All cycled perfect! Ill do some more extensive shooting soon and sight it in. I greatly appreciate everyone's input and help! Happy Thanksgiving All!

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen, never understood why people try to make ar platforms shoot 7.62x39 when the issues they have are well documented.

Ya i know a lot of people feel that way, and if youre looking for something that is ready to go out of the box i agree...i already had some 7.62x39 on hand and i wanted to break into the ar world but also wanted to shoot up cheap ammo. I did a lot of research and came across enough success stories to know it was possible. It took some work and 2 different threads on here but both my ar's seem to be working well now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom