AR Talk: M&P15, Stag, Spikes Tactical...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay, I've got the AR bug (finally). Was at Sports World on Saturday and saw some nice M&P15 in the cabinet and was able to check out a few. I really liked them and have read reviews online from owners who seem to be really pleased with them. Their prices seem to be fair as well.

Also, just being around guns for the time I've been around them, I've heard that Stags are very nice and seem to be rather popular in the AR world. I've also just recently read that the M&P15's are just re-branded Stags. Is this true or is this laughably false?

Spikes Tactical... They seem to be really popular but their wait time is 6 to 8 weeks out. I was reading their forums today and it's going to be the end of the year until they're caught up and a person can take immediate delivery of their order... Until then, there's a wait.

With all that being said, here's what I'm looking for. I think I want an Eotech but have a lot to learn about sights for AR's in general. It will not be a long distance gun. It will be a fun-gun (like all of em) and just something else for me to spend money on. I'm also liking the idea of configuring it just how I want it. I like the black and tan look on em... Smith & Wesson already has one like that but I'm not sure about the barrel grip up front. I'm thinking I'd like a rail to mount a flash light on or something... But I may buy that one anyway and just change it out later. And NO, I'm not interesting in building one. Not at this time anyway.

So, what do you all think about this awesome idea of starting my gun collection with an AR (since I lost the rest in the boating accident)? :anyone:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's a bad idea. Once you get one, you'll want another and then you'll want to change parts out on it constantly.
AR's like to rape wallets, and they do a damn fine job of it. I have 2 currently that have cost me too much to want to think about.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang bug bit me last weekend so I went to the RK show in OKC and picked up a new Rock River Arms Tactical Operator 2. I've already picked up an EOTech for it too.

[Broken External Image]

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
andrsnsm, what is that elevated platform? It looks like a detachable handle without enough space for a hand? Is that just to elevate the sight?

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W makes their own AR now, in the beginning they used "off the shelf" parts but now make most of their main parts.I have the MOE version and it is awesome.Can't go wrong with the Smith for their warranty if for no other reason

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm really digging this. [Broken External Image] It looks like the grips for Magpul so that's good to know.

EDIT: Just found out what MOE stands for. :D

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been pleased with my M&P. It has a MI free float for end with the un-interrupted top rail. The little stubby Magpul vertical grip. A hogue rubber grip (the best mod so far, highly recommend it). It came with the troy industries flip up rear sight which is really nice. Also, I got the magpul enhanced trigger guard on it.

For an optic, I went with the Lucid HD-7. Have barely had time to get it semi-zeroed but I think I will like it, just have to get more time with it. Main thing I don't like is that it is a bit heavy. http://www.mylucidgear.com/reddot.php

Still have tons I want to do but only as time will allow.
Like a magpul stock, MS/2 sling with the ambidextrous mount, the B.A.D. lever, etc., etc.

[Broken External Image]

gun4hire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 with an Eotech and all the goodies. I have been happy with it but my brother as a Rock River and I like the trigger on it better. We are about to put Fail Zero stuff in them. I think you would be happy with either one. Happy shooting!

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a fair amount of different kinds of guns and my AR is the most fun for sure. I'm very happy with my Spikes upper and Rock River lower. It has been very reliable so far though only about 600 rounds through it, but I'd trust my life with it. I wish I could shoot it all the time but I can't afford the ammo! Got my Spikes upper in 2 days with free shipping from www.joeboboutfitters.com I also had a coupon code that took 5% off the already good price. I've heard alot of people are satisfied with their S&Ws too. Whatever brand you go with, you have to get some Pmags!

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You really can't go wrong with any of the brands you listed.
I currently have a Spikes SBR and a Quentin Defense/YHM rifle.
I used to have a Bushmaster.
They're all good to go. You might also check out Bravo Company, I hear good things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom