ar15 feedramp help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good shop to take my ar15? I bought it awhile back from palmetto state armory and its never been reliable. It has a lot of trouble feeding. The bullet tip hangs up on the feedramp and I usually have to pull the charging handle back a time or two and release it before it will chamber the round. The bullet gets pretty big grooves cut into it as a result. The rifle will jam up after every other round or so. Any idea how much a shop will charge to fix this?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does your upper have M4 feedramps already?

Yes?
www.03designgroup.com_photo_bcm_complete_ar15_upper_and_lower_receivers_bcm_m4_feed_ramps.jpg

or No?
i3.photobucket.com_albums_y95_jerrellwise_Gun_20Pics_feed_ramps2.jpg

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good shop to take my ar15? I bought it awhile back from palmetto state armory and its never been reliable. It has a lot of trouble feeding. The bullet tip hangs up on the feedramp and I usually have to pull the charging handle back a time or two and release it before it will chamber the round. The bullet gets pretty big grooves cut into it as a result. The rifle will jam up after every other round or so. Any idea how much a shop will charge to fix this?

Sounds like either they incorrectly mated a rifle barrel extension with an M4 upper (feedramps not smooth, but has a shelf or pocket where the barrel extension and upper feedramps meet) or the feedramps were improperly cut on either the barrel extension or upper.

If it's a mismatch feedramps issue, I would return it to Palmetto.

I had this issue with one my rifles. They used a rifle barrel extension with an m4 upper. I ended up getting out the dremel tool and cutting my own m4 feedramps into the extension Feeds flawlessly ever since without a single stoppage.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We need pics dude. Im betting the groves are caused by burs in the barrel extension cuts.
Also, does this problem occur with several different mags? What mags and followers are you using?

A picture from the chamber end will help, but it wont necessarily determine the cause. We will be particularly interested in a close up of where the barrel extension meets the upper at the 5-7 o'clock area.
Aestus, did you mean you cut the m4 feedramps into the barrel extension since the m4 uppers already have the ramps cut? Only asking so those who dont know the difference are not confused.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We need pics dude. Im betting the groves are caused by burs in the barrel extension cuts.
Also, does this problem occur with several different mags? What mags and followers are you using?

A picture from the chamber end will help, but it wont necessarily determine the cause. We will be particularly interested in a close up of where the barrel extension meets the upper at the 5-7 o'clock area.
Aestus, did you mean you cut the m4 feedramps into the barrel extension since the m4 uppers already have the ramps cut? Only asking so those who dont know the difference are not confused.

Yep, meant the extension not the upper.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
if its anything like the palmetto barrel i cleaned up for a friend of a friend, the barrel ext wasnt machined properly, and theres a vertical step right at the beginning of the ramp where it meets the m4 cut of the upper rece. best bet was to remove barrel and just move the ext ramp forward .020 or so.