Aren't carry permits nothing more than gun registration?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some time ago, I got my permit allowing me to exercise my Second Amendment privilege. I paid my tuition for the little class, answered about 25 test questions, fired 50 rounds, then prepared a detailed application with all my personal information, provided passport photos and a full set of fingerprints, which was a first for me, since I grew up with the idea that only criminals were fingerprinted. All in all, I shelled out a nearly $400 for a 10 year license to exercise my 2A privilege and subjected myself to data collection that I've never experienced before. As far as Federal and State law enforcement is concerned, it's fairly likely that I have a gun, because I declared that I wanted to carry a gun and submitted all the identification required of a common criminal. Presumably, all my data will be retained for the rest of my life, just as it would be for any fingerprinted felon.

Is it reasonable to assume that the carry permit is in fact gun registration, since anyone who would get one is somewhat likely to own a gun?

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some time ago, I got my permit allowing me to exercise my Second Amendment privilege. I paid my tuition for the little class, answered about 25 test questions, fired 50 rounds, then prepared a detailed application with all my personal information, provided passport photos and a full set of fingerprints, which was a first for me, since I grew up with the idea that only criminals were fingerprinted. All in all, I shelled out a nearly $400 for a 10 year license to exercise my 2A privilege and subjected myself to data collection that I've never experienced before. As far as Federal and State law enforcement is concerned, it's fairly likely that I have a gun, because I declared that I wanted to carry a gun and submitted all the identification required of a common criminal. Presumably, all my data will be retained for the rest of my life, just as it would be for any fingerprinted felon.

Is it reasonable to assume that the carry permit is in fact gun registration, since anyone who would get one is somewhat likely to own a gun?
There is data that you have a permit. Not how many guns you have, what you have, and even whether you have one.
Registration would be knowledge of each gun you have.
the only purpose of registration is for the govt. to snoop, monitor, harass with checks and visits and ultimately disarm folks a few at a time, so there is no resistance.
:)

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
only criminals were fingerprinted

I was printed when I enlisted. and printed again when I got my TS security clearance. Fingerprints just aren't about criminals.

While I strongly agree that having to get a permit is an infringement on the 2A, and I'd prefer that it wasn't necessary it is a unpleasant concession I'm willing to make so that I can carry legally until such time as we can regain our full rights.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was printed for shipyard work back east, for a carry permit,and four tax stamps. They could check out most of our credit card purchases and figure out if we're gun owners or not. Ink pens in the hands of politicians are bigger threat to America than guns in the hands of patriots.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was printed for my SEC license,and teachers are printed.
I was less than enthusiastic about being printed for my CC, but as stated previously, nowhere did it ask about my firearm.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to get printed when I renewed my permission to travel on the King's highways, when I got arrested and put in jail (somehow I don't think the prints were removed from the database when the case was dismissed at trial), and again several years later when I got permission from the government to practice my chosen profession. Yes, I think the widespread use of printing by the government for non-convicts is a crock. If you don't like this, just get ready... DNA testing is the next big trend. For your protection.

If you want a CCL that doesn't require fingerprints, and is much cheaper, easier, and quicker than OK, get the Maine non-resident permit.

As to the gun registration issue, no, a PKBA permission slip is not a very effective registration system as it doesn't definitively show that anyone owns a particular firearm. However, there certainly are nefarious purposes for which the database of registrants could be used... use your imagination (and read recent news).

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's really gun-carrier registration, but the anti-Second-Amendment spirit of the thing is the same.

I invite anyone to convince me that requiring a license to carry arms does not "infringe" the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Intrinsic to the idea of licensure is the idea that some will be permitted the licensed activity, while others will be denied; else no license would be necessary. The power to permit or deny the activity rests with the State. This exactly inverts the concept of individual sovereignty as codified in the Ninth and Tenth amendments, while it also explicitly violates the affirmative protection of the Second Amendment. See my point?

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't even count how many times I have been printed. I know I had to get printed for CCW, Foster parent (for a family member), Security clearance, IIRC passport, and most recently ATF form 1 for my SBR. I have never been charged with any crime EVER, yet I have my prints in more records than most career criminals.

Kilroy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not *gun* registration exactly, more like *gun owner* registration, same effect though. It might even be worse as gun registration refers to a single firearm, whereas "owner" registration leaves the number of guns owned open to debate. Either way it's not a good thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom