Asset Forfeiture Law Abuse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“I know for a fact we all try to work very hard to rid this devil’s candy (drugs) off of our state. And for someone to try and push us back - sheriff’s departments, police departments - that’s how we continue our fight, is to take that money and go forward,” Stradley said. “That will set us back many, many, many years.”

"For somebody to demand we quit ass-raping the Due Process Clause with a chainsaw is going to set us back many, many years."

I absolutely agree. The question is, set us back from what? From destroying liberty rights, the right to a fair trial? Great; somebody get the gas, I'll bring the two-stroke oil.

Everybody deserves his day in court, and not to prove his innocence, but to make the prosecution prove his guilt. Sheriff Stradley wants to reverse the burden of proof and make the accused prove his innocence against a state that bears no repercussions for making a baseless claim.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Sykes Silent On Civil Asset Forfeiture Hearing Site"

http://mccarvillereport.com/archives/32755

Senator Anthony Sykes has yet to respond to a question about his relocation of an interim study hearing on civil asset forfeiture from the Capitol to a remote Tulsa Police Department facility. Sykes is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Twenty-four hours ago, The McCarville Report asked Sykes’ office to answer this question: “Why was the civil asset forfeiture interim study assigned to a Tulsa PD facility rather than the normal place, the Capitol?”

The controversial issue has drawn reform support from conservative and liberal think tanks and constitutionalists and opposition from some in law enforcement.

The interim study hearing is on September 1st.

Senator Kyle Loveless, sponsor of the bill, has invited out-of-state experts on the issue to testify. Several are due in the state, paying their own way to get to Oklahoma City. Now, they are being forced to hastily change flight plans or make arrangements for ground transportation from Oklahoma City to Tulsa to get to the non-neutral site.

Loveless thus far has declined comment on the development, viewed by some as a move by Skyes as a way to limit news coverage of the hearing, by others as a way of making the hearing as difficult as possible for supporters of the reform measure. Sykes, who aspires to be elected attorney general, is viewed as a “friend” of law enforcement.

Yeah, no thanks, Sen Sykes...

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hobbes from your post: "Law enforcement officials say forfeiture without conviction is necessary to stop drug money from moving through the state."

I am against drug legalization or decriminalization but this statement proves a powerful reform is needed. How any American law enforcement official can say that it is a legitimate tactic to seize property and keep it without conviction, effectively, merely on suspicion boggles my mind.

I can understand frustration by police and prosecutors and I can agree with freezing assets pending a trial but an acquittal is an acquittal and if we do not respect due process even for the dirt-bags then it exists for no one. The truth is that due process is damn near the most important things that the American form of government has embodied for over two centuries.

Right on mugsy, we don't need some pigs is more equal than others as in animal farm...

Latest posts

Top Bottom