Bald eagle at Lake Hefner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thursday afternoon about 4:00 I was driving south on the highway just east of Hefner.

There are some ponds between the highway and the lake. I saw a lot of bird activity, and the middle of all of that was a bald eagle going after something. It hit the water among some bushes and I lost sight of it, but the large size and white head make it pretty certain that it was a bald eagle.

Not into birding, but am wondering if this is typical or not for that area.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen a couple this time of year at Hefner the last few years. There is no mistaken of what you are seeing when its an adult bald eagle.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one land in a tree right over my pick-up on the way to work this morning between Hwy 51 and Meridian Technology in Stillwater. Have seen it there a couple of times now. Also one that regularly hunts Boomer Lake on the north side of Stillwater. Have seen it several times. Majestic birds for sure.

If you get the chance to visit the eagle sanctuary south of Perkins, by all means do it.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen one at Hefner, but last week I saw one flying west over the OK River just west of I-44.

It was quite a surprise, as I've never seen a wild eagle anywhere near here.

Spdracr

Marksman
Reaction score
Saw one in the middle of a field about a month ago 10 miles SW of Altus. Saw another one about 7 years ago in the general location. No doubt watch you are looking at even before you get the binoculars out.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is one that hangs out on Lake of the Arbuckles this time of year. I saw him a couple weeks ago over on the east side of the lake in the Buckhorn area.

When I lived in Muskogee, there was a little cafe below the damn over on Gibson. In the Winter, the owner would have binoculars in all the window booths to watch the eagles with. I've seen them below that damn in numbers too numerous for me to count.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is an active nest in OKC, i won't disclose the location, has been active since 2007. many nests along the arkansas river around the Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge. a nest there was streamed live on the internet for several seasons, big cottonwood tree in the middle of a soy bean field just across from the ranger headquarters. lake arcadia has many goldens and bald eagles that winter there, they have free eagle watch days

Latest posts

Top Bottom