boat load of Glock 42's on the used market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like my G42...perfect size for a pocket shooter...not too big or heavy..not too small to shoot well.

Folks that over-analyze things poo-poo the .380 in favor off the 9mmP...about like guys poo-poo the 9mm in favor of the .45acp. Reality is that a .380 is not a 9mm Luger or .45 acp however it's still an effective round for what it's intended for. The .380 has served a military handgun caliber for many European countries and has been chambered in all sorts of handguns from small to large.

Back to the G42 pistols...has been a lot of issues reported on GT forums concerning early lock-opens and other issues...I have had zero issues with mine however I shot a bunch of round-nose ball ammo(brass-cased US manufacture ammo) through mine at first just to give it a chance to break-in. Then tried some hollowpoints and Winchester flat-nose ball ammo..no failures at all.

It's obvious there are some real issues with some of these(I've seen pics online of some really shoddy machine-work from Glock on this model!)...However I do think a lot of the 'new G42 issues' stem from guys heading out with a never been shot before pistol and either cheapest ammo they could find(steel-cased Russian maybe)..or hollowpoint ammo of whatever make and try cram it through the gun with mediocre results. I also think a lot of the 'early lockbacks' probably are user induced..as in the shooters thumb hits the slide-lock lever during recoil 'cause the shooter is used to a larger model Glock....Just my opinion.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think glock hurt the market on the 42 by releasing the 43. Not that much larger than the 42 but is a 9 and there are a ton of benefits. The 42 is not as small as a lcp or a p380 so never really considered buying one, if I'm going 380 I want it to be as small as possible. I was going to buy a 43 then I found a great deal on a Kahr CM9. Fell in love with the trigger and small size.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think glock hurt the market on the 42 by releasing the 43. Not that much larger than the 42 but is a 9 and there are a ton of benefits. The 42 is not as small as a lcp or a p380 so never really considered buying one, if I'm going 380 I want it to be as small as possible. I was going to buy a 43 then I found a great deal on a Kahr CM9. Fell in love with the trigger and small size.

I really like my wife's Kahr P380...but alas..too small for me(the P380 is substantially smaller than a G42..came with a six and seven shot mag)...My grip on the Kahr causes me to hit the slide-stop lever and lock it open...about what I figure some G42 owners do to the G42 and maybe don't realize it.

Doubt Glock cares if they hurt the G42 market. They'll sell plenty of both

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 43 is closer to the shield in size, and I like the shield better, but I carry a g42 in my pocket all the time neither the shield or g43 will fit in the pocket of my wranglers

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
blaming early issues on ammo seems odd. I've have gen2 and gen3 Glock 17's & 21's flawlessly feed blazer and russian rounds in the thousands without fail.

I think Glocks downfall started with their gen4 platform. Changing up perfection to battle the hype other polymer platforms were putting out. (Mainly the XD pistol fad) It just seems they can't seem to iron out problems prior to release these days. It's a bummer.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it is made for, I honestly like the 42. It's not a bad package. Girlfriend has one, and she loves it. I've shot it quite a bit, and have considered it a time or two for a summer gun.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
blaming early issues on ammo seems odd. I've have gen2 and gen3 Glock 17's & 21's flawlessly feed blazer and russian rounds in the thousands without fail.

I think Glocks downfall started with their gen4 platform. Changing up perfection to battle the hype other polymer platforms were putting out. (Mainly the XD pistol fad) It just seems they can't seem to iron out problems prior to release these days. It's a bummer.
I have a gen 4 g19 and have never had one single problem with it and I have shot a lot of steel cases in it. I broke my new 43 in yesterday and it didn't have a single problem either. Whatever problems people have reported with the gen 4's I have never seen. And I chose the 4 over the 3. I want to know why the 42 says made in the USA on the slide and the 43 is Austria like all other glocks? What's up with that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom