Bobtail vs. Non-bobtail 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think about having a 1911 bobtailed? First off it is a kimber eclpise pro II and it is my CCW gun. I have already pm'd a couple guys about this, but want some more opinions. Please do not reply if you haven't handled a bobtailed 1911. I talked to olyeller about doing it because his work looks amazing, but any reason for me to not have it bobtailed?

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally love the way a bobtail fits my hand, it seems to fit right in the crease of my palm. A much better feel than a standard. I had average/smallish hands. I don't own one yet, but when the cash cow comes home, my first 1911 will get bobtailed. As far as hiding, yes, the owner of the local gun shop let me handle his, and showed me how he carries his concealed. It hides well.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loved the idea. It looked cool. It felt great in my short fingers. Everything was great until I fired the first mag. It just does not work for me. JMB had the frame right all the time.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I loved the idea. It looked cool. It felt great in my short fingers. Everything was great until I fired the first mag. It just does not work for me. JMB had the frame right all the time.

Lets be clear on this; a bobtail on a 1911 is not for looks; its for ease of carry and concealment. There will be a compromise for everyone in terms of how it works for them. The comfort and feel during shooting is often not as comfy or pleasant as if you have a nice full gripped govt 1911. But can you hit what you need to, are you accurate, do you have command of the gun?

The answer for me is yes. But what do I know? Im carrying a M&P right now..;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom