Book on WW2 tanks/tank battles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Deathtraps was a fascinating book. It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it provides a very unique perspective into WWII tank combat. The author was an ordnance officer, which seems to have been a very elite group, and his primary responsibility was to compile a daily list of tanks that were lost and to arrange for replacement tanks, which always came 48 hours later. He is a trained engineer and goes into great detail about the capabilities of specific tanks, battle damage, and the decision on whether a tank's chassis, turret or both can be repaired or need to cannibalized for spare parts. The book is not nearly as dry as I've made it sound and it's something I've reread several times. I forgot to mention that every night he and a driver made a jeep run thru the no-man's land between the advance U.S. elements and the rear echelons to get the day's replacement tanks. There were often Germans who had been bypassed in the initial thrust so they were in constant danger of being killed or captured. Once, while leading 17 Shermans back to his division, he encountered a General who basically put him in charge of the "task force" he was leading! Fortunately, the situation turned out okay for them.

I have read this book, and it is exquisite. I bought Panzer Commander, and it looks like it will be a good one.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deathtraps was a fascinating book. It might not be exactly what you are looking for but it provides a very unique perspective into WWII tank combat. The author was an ordnance officer, which seems to have been a very elite group, and his primary responsibility was to compile a daily list of tanks that were lost and to arrange for replacement tanks, which always came 48 hours later. He is a trained engineer and goes into great detail about the capabilities of specific tanks, battle damage, and the decision on whether a tank's chassis, turret or both can be repaired or need to cannibalized for spare parts. The book is not nearly as dry as I've made it sound and it's something I've reread several times. I forgot to mention that every night he and a driver made a jeep run thru the no-man's land between the advance U.S. elements and the rear echelons to get the day's replacement tanks. There were often Germans who had been bypassed in the initial thrust so they were in constant danger of being killed or captured. Once, while leading 17 Shermans back to his division, he encountered a General who basically put him in charge of the "task force" he was leading! Fortunately, the situation turned out okay for them.

Is title just "Deathtraps"?

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool thanks. I'll be getting it once I finish the one I'm reading now about the South African anti terrorist police force. Deals with SWAPO terrorist and their bid to track and kill them. From the late 70's and mid 80's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom