Mower Blades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put the new g6 gator blades on the Hustler today. Mowed a couple of hours pretty damp and lots of thick glover. The cut was okay, but still lots of build up under the deck. Measured my cut out expanded grass chute. It is 11".

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Ferris 52 inch clogs pretty bad, always has. I've taken the chute off, taken a bracket off of the exit area, tried different sprays on the deck.
I just installed some G6 blades and moved a small area yesterday; had a little build up, the grass was a little wet but not bad.

I'm just about resigned to cleaning it out after most mows. I've got a chain host in my shop building that I hook up to the front to raise it up.
If I don't do it regular after about half dozen mows I sometimes have to use an air chisel with a 3 inch blade to clean it off.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Ferris 52 inch clogs pretty bad, always has. I've taken the chute off, taken a bracket off of the exit area, tried different sprays on the deck.
I just installed some G6 blades and moved a small area yesterday; had a little build up, the grass was a little wet but not bad.

I'm just about resigned to cleaning it out after most mows. I've got a chain host in my shop building that I hook up to the front to raise it up.
If I don't do it regular after about half dozen mows I sometimes have to use an air chisel with a 3 inch blade to clean it off.

I was in the same boat as you. And same on air chisel sometimes! LOL!

Opened up the discharge opening as photos show below and after each mowing hook the hose to it and it stays spotless.

There is also a very important pitch level to a mower deck to. The rear needs to be a 1/4 to 1/2 hiagher than front edge. And air pressure correctly maintained front and back.

And lastly a wash out kit is a breeze to install, keeps it clean! I fought this **** since 2016 till this year! Just mowed 1-1/2 this morning, damp grass and no clogging and wash out got the rest. Hook the hose and let it run. I have a slab of concrete I let it run in and I lower the deck as low as it will go while washing out.

IMG_9745.jpeg
IMG_9746.jpeg
IMG_9747.jpeg

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FEI if you have FREE old thin lawnmower blades or come across blades that are flat and thin (3/16-1/4) ,save a couple, take your angle grinder and grind a knife like edge on one side from the end to the center, and you can use that for Batoning firewood that you want to split,,,a safer alternative than breaking a good knife or machete in half, and you cant beat the price,FREE !! and if your out in the boonies in a vehicle, it makes a great sharpened pry bar..a little big and heavy for a backpack ,but if you are with a group of people ,it might be worth it to carry one along..makes a decent weapon,fair hammer, and a digging tool (sharpen the 2 inch wide end) and unbreakable..did i say it was FREE???

Last edited:

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FEI if you have FREE old thin lawnmower blades or come across blades that are flat and thin (3/16-1/4) ,save a couple, take your angle grinder and grind a knife like edge on one side from the end to the center, and you can use that for Batoning firewood that you want to split,,,a safer alternative than breaking a good knife or machete in half, and you cant beat the price,FREE !! and if your out in the boonies in a vehicle, it makes a great sharpened pry bar..a little big and heavy for a backpack ,but if you are with a group of people ,it might be worth it to carry one along..makes a decent weapon,fair hammer, and a digging tool (sharpen the 2 inch wide end) and unbreakable..did i say it was FREE???
Plus they’re dang handy for taking out that abusive Doyal Hargraves. :hey3:(Movie reference)

Good thread. I have a 43” Gravely zero turn that could use some new blades. Might need to try those Gators.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you. And same on air chisel sometimes! LOL!

Opened up the discharge opening as photos show below and after each mowing hook the hose to it and it stays spotless.

There is also a very important pitch level to a mower deck to. The rear needs to be a 1/4 to 1/2 hiagher than front edge. And air pressure correctly maintained front and back.

And lastly a wash out kit is a breeze to install, keeps it clean! I fought this **** since 2016 till this year! Just mowed 1-1/2 this morning, damp grass and no clogging and wash out got the rest. Hook the hose and let it run. I have a slab of concrete I let it run in and I lower the deck as low as it will go while washing out.

View attachment 479741View attachment 479742View attachment 479743
That build up is insane! Don't know if location and soils are the difference but I've never cleaned the deck of my Bad Boy that was bought in 2010. Some small clumps the size of golf balls in one of the corners, but that's it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom