Books Worth reading (Any subject)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"

"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold - beautiful insights into nature and man's relation to it including "The Good Oak"

One of my favorites. ^^^

Also:

1: The Fool's Progress - Ed Abbey
2. Amerika - Kafka
3. Bind, Torture, Kill - Roy Wenzl (about the BTK serial killer in Witchita and the detective that hunted him for decades)
4. Columbine - Dave Cullen (you don't know **** about Columbine until you read that book. The book above, the book below, and this book are the best true crime books ever written.)
5. In Cold Blood - Capote
6. Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
7. Jesus' Son - Denis Johnson
8. Trout Fishing In America - Richard Brautigan
9. All books written by Cormac McCarthy
10. Drinking: A Love Story - Caroline Knapp

That's 10 I had bouncing in my head. All I've read more than once.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
'A People's History' - Howard Zinn

'Traitor to His Class'...FDR bio - H.W. Brands

'1776' - David McCullough

'The Beatles' - Bob Spitz

'A Short History of Nearly Everything' - Bill Bryson

'Walking Humbly With God' - John Woolman ( FWIW, Im not what you call a typical Christian, Quaker, or even religious; but great read any how)

'Southern Son: The Saga of Doc Holliday' (Trilogy) - Victoria Wilcox

and of course....'Slaughter House Five' - Kurt Vonnegut

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the book, The last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. My Grandad was on one of those tin cans, sent back to slow the Japanese fleet while the rest of the American fleet attempted to outrun Japanese. Anything by Robert Heinlein, though you might have to work up to the later works. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. The Lord of the Rings. A Painted House by John Grisham. The Long Walk by Stephen King. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the book, The last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. My Grandad was on one of those tin cans, sent back to slow the Japanese fleet while the rest of the American fleet attempted to outrun Japanese. Anything by Robert Heinlein, though you might have to work up to the later works. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. The Lord of the Rings. A Painted House by John Grisham. The Long Walk by Stephen King. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

The Forever War is excellent and seems oddly appropriate nowadays as those who model the old "normal" are being made to feel more and more out of place by an "evolving" culture.

The Lord of the Rings is a great epic story and JRR Tolkein really stimulates the imagination to build its own rich pictures of his words.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Novels:
Anything by T.C. Boyle.
Anything by James Michener.

Living life, compass for life:
The Bible.
One of the "Mindfulness" books was also enormously helpful as well.

On a side note.... If you are struggling with depression, please feel free to write me. Whatever you do, DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT attempt to go through it alone. It is dangerous to do so.

------

Latest posts

Top Bottom