Bowling Pin Match at Tin Star Shooting Range in Weatherford 04/23/11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bowling pins are best shot with a 45 ACP. The BP matches I've been to have been started from "Low Ready". The trick is getting the pin off the table and on to the floor. The tables are wide...knock a pin over---it may or may not roll all the way off. So you have to keep shooting till it rolls of or anothr pin helps the others off as it falls and spins. I've seen BP shooters run revolvers in 38 special and Semi's or revolvers in 40 SW and 10 mm too.... but 45 seems to be the "A" choice.

I've shot hardball ammo... but some folks prefer lead bullets. The lead flattens and "sticks" a little better on contact. FMJ sometimes glances off and doesnt always push enough energy into the pin to clear it. Bowling pins have a weird center of gravity so every little bit helps.

My wilfe's work is doing paintball this Saturday (dont ask..."teambuilding") so I will probably get "killed" by an rookie. If not for that obligation I'd be heading out.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jeff. I know how a typical bowling pin shoot is typically run. The rules were just so vague I had visions of running the Benelli with a full choke loaded with OO buck. :)

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jeff. I know how a typical bowling pin shoot is typically run. The rules were just so vague I had visions of running the Benelli with a full choke loaded with OO buck. :)

That was more for the "newbies" who may look in , Mitch. Tin Star did leave a lot out if you thought bowling pins were shot in bowling alleys wearing weird loaner shoes.

We used to shoot a lot of pins up north (always looking for winter time things indoors)...not so much here.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you didn't misunderstand. I appreciate you being so detailed in your description for the very reason you stated. The rules listed are pretty wide open. Some of us "gamers" get a little giddy when we see that. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom