Boy, 6, Survives Mountain Lion Attack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dad is a member of the Spyderco Forums. He used a Spyderco Caly 3.5.

Here's his post:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54132

I credit my EDC caly 3.5 with saving my 6 year old son's life last night. A mountain lion attacked outside of the restaurant at the Chisos Mountain Lodge in Big Bend National Park. It attacked quickly and ferociously from the brush near the sidewalk, and pulled him away from my wife, into the brush near the sidewalk. I turn and ran to my son, finding the lion clamped on his face. It didn't respond to bare fist pounding, so I went for my knife and stabbed the lion in the chest. The blade went in easily and fully, and the lion came off my son and ran off into the woods.

That all day carry of the knife and practice drawing and snapping open that annoyed my wife so much paid off - drawing the knife and stabbing the cat seemed second nature.

Here's a couple of photos of the knife I took after getting back from the ER:

http://imgur.com/a/ZlCRj

As of now, the lion has not been found. Judging by the amount of blood on the blade, and the angle of entry, I believe it may have crawled off somewhere to die.

There is coverage of the story here:

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=32368

ptp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad he had the knife. I probably would have shot the cat but it seems that the knife did the trick as well. Who am I to argue with the outcome?

I would probably retire that knife. I would eventually give it to my grandson and tell him the story.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if either charges will be filed against the dad or there will be a call to outlaw knives in national parks. You just know there are mountain lion lovers who are upset with the outcome of the encounter.

But in the real world, dad is a hero. I hope the real world view prevails.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if either charges will be filed against the dad or there will be a call to outlaw knives in national parks. You just know there are mountain lion lovers who are upset with the outcome of the encounter.

But in the real world, dad is a hero. I hope the real world view prevails.

"dad's got the nads".

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Props to the dad for doing what had to be done. His quick thinking might've saved his kids life, and at the least, saved him the need for a lot of plastic surgery.

Read some of the comments on the news article. Of course, someone just HAD to do it:

I sort of feel bad for the mountain lion. It was probably very hungry and saw a little animal walking along, easy for the picking. It got stabbed and probably felt a lot of pain and walked off and may have died a slow, painful death. Now of course, that guy had to defend his son no matter what and it's wonderful that the little boy is alive. I guess I just have a soft spot for animals, since they really don't know they're doing anything wrong.

Why are people so darn thick. I mean really. That lion would've done the EXACT same thing to the dad if he had attacked one of its cubs. (Well, not exactly, it has claws, not a pocket knife. Hah).

Latest posts

Top Bottom